installing a back-up camera

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Ron C

Ron C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wiper motor? Where are you trying to install the camera?

I just removed the black plastic cover. That gave me access to the nuts holding the plastic trim. Popped it off and installed the camera.

The black plastic cover, as the trim on the inside of the tailgate?

Ron

OP
OP
Ron C

Ron C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The write up with pics seems very helpful, we'll see once I get into iyt. What I heard from the "amp and harness guy:"... the camera plugs into the harness in my case. "That's why that RCA plug is there" amp/harness guy said. So that part should be easy.

Ron

Chuck_Finley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just watched that write up, seems like the wiper motor, and the trim where the bezel goes, use the same screws/bolts.?

Ron

I believe they are separate - the wiper motor has its own 3 bolts that need to be removed to access the screws for the applique.

The write up with pics seems very helpful, we'll see once I get into iyt. What I heard from the "amp and harness guy:"... the camera plugs into the harness in my case. "That's why that RCA plug is there" amp/harness guy said. So that part should be easy.

Ron

Makes sense, I connected an aftermarket camera to an aftermarket radio so it was just the power 12v+ and RCA cable I had to run forward. I also had to drill a hole in the applique to mount the camera, you shouldn't have to do that going factory.

OP
OP
Ron C

Ron C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe they are separate - the wiper motor has its own 3 bolts that need to be removed to access the screws for the appliqué.

Makes sense, I connected an aftermarket camera to an aftermarket radio so it was just the power 12v+ and RCA cable I had to run forward. I also had to drill a hole in the appliqué to mount the camera, you shouldn't have to do that going factory.

Right, I still have to cut/drill a hole in the 'appliqué' .. for the camera (and what are the round holes for?). Do all of these model Tahoes have the wiper motor there? Somehow I have the impression that it might be quite a bit easier to get those nuts off (of course now I jinxed it), routing the cable/coax should not be 'that' difficult, I already figured how to do that with running an antenna cable. Although, taking the trim off (and merely putting it back on might be a pain. (I just finished doing that on my Grand Cherokee, replacing a lock actuator. Took me 2-3 days to even get the hatch open, without having to destroy the trim. At least the tailgate of the Tahoe opens.

Ron

Chuck_Finley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you mount an aftermarket camera, you'll have to drill it. It's not that hard to get the bolts off, just a pain is all. It was worth it for me since I pull a boat trailer and I wanted to be able to line it up easily.

OP
OP
Ron C

Ron C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wiper motor? Where are you trying to install the camera?

I just removed the black plastic cover. That gave me access to the nuts holding the plastic trim. Popped it off and installed the camera.

Maybe that's just a "model year difference" ?

OP
OP
Ron C

Ron C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you mount an aftermarket camera, you'll have to drill it. It's not that hard to get the bolts off, just a pain is all. It was worth it for me since I pull a boat trailer and I wanted to be able to line it up easily.
Yeah I have a trailer too, sitting in a barn, camera would be real handy, to not hit trailer and barn doors.

A few hours is worth the time... besides, it's pretty cool toy to have too,

I want the "factory, OEM one.. but still have to cut a hole in that "applique" thing... I can see an outline in that piece of trim, but no cover or holes or anything.

I think I just need to get one (amp guy told me he has those too, with instructions on how to hook it up to the stereo head unit. Once I have one that would work, I'll figure it out doing it.

Ron

OP
OP
Ron C

Ron C

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Were the nuts/bolts actually done with Loctite? or not? What was "the pain" getting access to it? I do have airtools, that makes sinning the nuts easer... as long as I can get a socket in.

Chuck_Finley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure about the loctite, the issue was mostly access. The guide I linked before describes it in detail, good luck.

OP
OP
Ron C

Ron C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure about the loctite, the issue was mostly access. The guide I linked before describes it in detail, good luck.

I zoomed in on that pic where it was unbolted. It doesn't seem like there was loctite on it. (of course there might be some crud/rust etc. ) The issue is probably the studs being molded into the plastic, and possible stripping (heat probably isn't a good idea either)

Sounds like a fun project.....

Ron

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
44Dan