Installed Headers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's too bad.
What headers did you experience this with? Where did they crack?

Nice avator ;)
multiple brands over the years, they all cracked almost anywhere or leaked or both, its probably just me I am pretty ******* things (good old cast iron for me now)
I can say when I had my 4-runner years ago I had the TRD headers on it which is a good brand there headers cracked probably 8-10 times and they were under warranty so they kept welding them and sending me down the road after the 3 yrs warranty was just about to run out they had cracked again and they ended up giving me a brand new revised set of headers which had some kind of spring system design and those lasted until I rolled it upside down and just fubared the whole truck.

randeez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nope my welding looks nothing like that! :lol:

Friend of mine getting it done. Hes finishing up a procharged, forged 5.3ls powered 93 rx7 ...ill grab a few pics next time im over there

992dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
multiple brands over the years, they all cracked almost anywhere or leaked or both, its probably just me I am pretty ******* things (good old cast iron for me now)
I can say when I had my 4-runner years ago I had the TRD headers on it which is a good brand there headers cracked probably 8-10 times and they were under warranty so they kept welding them and sending me down the road after the 3 yrs warranty was just about to run out they had cracked again and they ended up giving me a brand new revised set of headers which had some kind of spring system design and those lasted until I rolled it upside down and just fubared the whole truck.

Really, that's terrible. I've used JBA, Kooks and Thorley. None of which ever leaked or cracked. Thorleys are still going strong. Another random thing, I never re-torqued the header bolts once they were installed. I guess its just luck (knock on wood:) )

That sounds like an interesting and wild ride in that 4-Runner. Hope everyone was ok.

Nope my welding looks nothing like that! :lol:

Friend of mine getting it done. Hes finishing up a procharged, forged 5.3ls powered 93 rx7 ...ill grab a few pics next time im over there

Hahaha, gotcha.

Ooohhhh nice. Please do. That sounds like an insane car. Where we used to live there was a C&C and a guy with an LS swapped FD R-7 with a wide-body kit installed. Man what a looker, car was saaaweeeet.
Lookin forward to those pics.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Really, that's terrible. I've used JBA, Kooks and Thorley. None of which ever leaked or cracked. Thorleys are still going strong. Another random thing, I never re-torqued the header bolts once they were installed. I guess its just luck (knock on wood:) )

That sounds like an interesting and wild ride in that 4-Runner. Hope everyone was ok.

Hahaha, gotcha.

Ooohhhh nice. Please do. That sounds like an insane car. Where we used to live there was a C&C and a guy with an LS swapped FD R-7 with a wide-body kit installed. Man what a looker, car was saaaweeeet.
Lookin forward to those pics.
it was just me and I was doing about a hundred in the rain and the back tires were a little baldy, went to take the off ramp off the freeway she started to slide on me and I was headed dead center for a light pole, I managed to avoid the pole and thought I was just going to end up in the grass but no low and behold there was a culvert built there with bricks around it, hit that with my front axle and flipped front ways all the way over, I had a big subwoofer box in the back it went out the back window and ya it was a ah **** moment, atleast I had my seat belt on. managed to convince the highway patrol that came along that it was just the rain and my slightly bald back tires. I saved that thing in my back yard for about 2yrs I was going to cut the top off and make it a all off road vehicle but just ended up selling it to the salvage yard, i'll get another one someday when I don't have 4 kids to haul around all the time even though they would fit's its just less hassle with a bigger vehicle.
the worst part of all that was I had just taken the 4 runner off of full coverage insurance about 30 days before that-so mad

Last edited:

992dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
it was just me and I was doing about a hundred in the rain and the back tires were a little baldy, went to take the off ramp off the freeway she started to slide on me and I was headed dead center for a light pole, I managed to avoid the pole and thought I was just going to end up in the grass but no low and behold there was a culvert built there with bricks around it, hit that with my front axle and flipped front ways all the way over, I had a big subwoofer box in the back it went out the back window and ya it was a ah **** moment, atleast I had my seat belt on. managed to convince the highway patrol that came along that it was just the rain and my slightly bald back tires. I saved that thing in my back yard for about 2yrs I was going to cut the top off and make it a all off road vehicle but just ended up selling it to the salvage yard, i'll get another one someday when I don't have 4 kids to haul around all the time even though they would fit's its just less hassle with a bigger vehicle.
the worst part of all that was I had just taken the 4 runner off of full coverage insurance about 30 days before that-so mad

Damn, that sucks. Talk about a wild ride. Glad you walked away unharmed.
4-Runners are pretty cool, easy to mod and make crazy flex suspensions. There's a Taco with a sick 3 link that flexes like crazy with insane ORI struts.
I'd be pretty pissed too. That's a kick in the balls right there.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Damn, that sucks. Talk about a wild ride. Glad you walked away unharmed.
4-Runners are pretty cool, easy to mod and make crazy flex suspensions. There's a Taco with a sick 3 link that flexes like crazy with insane ORI struts.
I'd be pretty pissed too. That's a kick in the balls right there.
ya I really liked that truck it was good to me to the end, lol I should have kept it but lost interest just one of those things I had a ******* to restore a 79 trans am at the time did a bunch of work to that and still didn't like how it handled sold it and moved on to the next thing.

992dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ya I really liked that truck it was good to me to the end, lol I should have kept it but lost interest just one of those things I had a ******* to restore a 79 trans am at the time did a bunch of work to that and still didn't like how it handled sold it and moved on to the next thing.

You wanted to restore the 4-Runner after the wreck?
79 Trans Am, nice.
I'm looking at a Fox Body Coupe this week, always wanted one and thought it might be time to add another vehicle to the fleet. It as well as the Tahoe will end up going through a thorough build once my garage is completed.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
79 Trans Am, nice.
I'm looking at a Fox Body Coupe this week, always wanted one and thought it might be time to add another vehicle to the fleet. It as well as the Tahoe will end up going through a thorough build once my garage is completed.
I'm not a Ford guy, but I've always liked the Mustang sedans/coupes. Was a real pocket rocket back in the day.

992dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not a Ford guy, but I've always liked the Mustang sedans/coupes. Was a real pocket rocket back in the day.

I'm with you. Probably the only Ford I'd own. And honestly, the only reason to get it is it will be a donor vehicle for a waaaaaay in the future FFR Mark IV Roadster base kit build. It'll be a fun semi daily until then.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
79 Trans Am, nice.
well I wanted to chop the top off, it was ****** anyway, lift it, put some roll bars in (in case I rolled it again lol) and maybe tarp it like a jeep, put in a supercharger, all that fun kind of stuff, something to go play in the desert with once in a while, but o'well it was a thought anyway....