Installed Headers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They look pretty good. They look exactly like speed engineering.

I had to research this. Unless these are just stock photos, I can see some notable differences:

speed_engineering_25-1013_25-1015_3.jpg

61JNhLzjExL._SL1237_.jpg

I'm gonna look for real-world pics of the headers to be sure. They are all advertised as being made of 304 stainless, but I don't know what gauge. Just comparing the two above pics, I like the SE better due to the slightly less abrupt primary-to-collector transition and smoother Y-pipe merge. The primaries also appear to be equal-length or at least closer to it. I'd rather equal length over "whatever fits" length as a second place to tuned length.

It also looks like the DNAs are a bit undersized- not quite 1.75" primaries and I don't know what's up with that 2.36" collector outlet diameter.

718GYPvEkIL._SL1200_.jpg

This is all just fine for a stock motor, but it's leaving power on the table and not allowing any room for future mods. I'm sure they sacrifice some upper-RPM power to retain a bit more low-end, though.

Last edited:

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
I had to research this. Unless these are just stock photos, I can see some notable differences:

speed_engineering_25-1013_25-1015_3.jpg

61JNhLzjExL._SL1237_.jpg

I'm gonna look for real-world pics of the headers to be sure. They are all advertised as being made of 304 stainless, but I don't know what gauge. Just comparing the two above pics, I like the SE better due to the slightly less abrupt primary-to-collector transition and smoother Y-pipe merge. The primaries also appear to be equal-length or at least closer to it. I'd rather equal length over "whatever fits" length as a second place to tuned length.

It also looks like the DNAs are a bit undersized- not quite 1.75" primaries and I don't know what's up with that 2.36" collector outlet diameter.

718GYPvEkIL._SL1200_.jpg

This is all just fine for a stock motor, but it's leaving power on the table and not allowing any room for future mods. I'm sure they sacrifice some upper-RPM power to retain a bit more low-end, though.
I shouldn't have said exactly. They do look similar tho.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In a daily driven, heavy, full-size SUV, I’ll take low-end torque over high-rpm power all day.

Agreed, which is why I added that last sentence as an attribute. It'd be awesome to see back-to-back engine dyno comparisons between these two brands, Kooks and AR. Maybe check with the Engine Masters guys on that Motor Trend YouTube channel...

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I appreciated the video but think it would have been nice to see a stock truck engine, something we drive and see how those headers performed. That motor had a huge cam, certainly not anything we'd run in a street truck. Maybe it's been done already, IDK.

Andy was supposed to get tuned Friday, wonder if he's still driving around enjoying the newfound power? hehehe

OP
OP
badandyturbo

badandyturbo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok so I got the truck tuned Friday at Horsepower Sales. I had them remove the DOD and secondary O2 sensor. To sum it up in one word, awesome! I am very happy with the results from my mild modifications. I promise I will get some more pictures of under the truck and a video of it running. It does not drone on the highway and is actually quite tame unless you get on the throttle.

Also to answer a previous question. The mid/y pipe is above the transmission support beam.

20171116_204734.jpg 20171116_204749.jpg 20171116_204810.jpg 20171116_204823.jpg

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Horsepower Sales is still around? Used to buy parts from the store in Fort Lauderdale back in the 1980s then they closed or moved. Where are they now?

Glad everything is working out. Now its time to head to Moroso, um, Palm Beach International Raceway and see how much rear wheel horsepower it is making. I'd like to run mine too; haven't made a pass down that track since... hmm... can't remember but Bill Clinton was in his first term.