Install factory radio with GPS

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

David Smith

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone has removed their factory, non-gps radio and replaced it with the factory gps radio in their truck/suv (double din touch screen). I am wanting to do this, but I have seen some video that looks like you need a few things. Speed sensor harness? GPS antenna harness? Microphone harness?

Has anyone personally done this?

This is on a 2011 Avalanche.

Thanks!

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone has removed their factory, non-gps radio and replaced it with the factory gps radio in their truck/suv (double din touch screen). I am wanting to do this, but I have seen some video that looks like you need a few things. Speed sensor harness? GPS antenna harness? Microphone harness?

Has anyone personally done this?

This is on a 2011 Avalanche.

Thanks!

It's been done.... but it is a big waste of money IMO. Much better HUs out there for what it will cost to make the stock one work.

Check the police pursuit vehicle thread as it was recently done over there.

OP
OP
David Smith

David Smith

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's been done.... but it is a big waste of money IMO. Much better HUs out there for what it will cost to make the stock one work.

Check the police pursuit vehicle thread as it was recently done over there.
I can probably get the factory radio for nothing. I was just trying to prevent having to buy all the modules to make the steering controls and everything work.

I wonder if you can still us the factory mic with an aftermarket radio.....

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
If you get it for free, you are still looking at paying someone to program it to work with your VIN, which the last guy I asked who had it done said he paid like $200.

Then you still have to get the other harnesses you mentioned and at the end the Navi still sucks.... lol

I swapped out my factory Navi in my 2008 LTZ for a Rosen GM1210 and I am very happy I did.

The factory Bose system sounds so much better off the new head unit.

That is another thing to consider. If your truck doesn't have the Bose system and you install a factory Navi that was from a Bose setup... which I believe most if not all are Bose equipped... then you will have really low output volume and you will need an amp to make it sound normal.

OP
OP
David Smith

David Smith

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you get it for free, you are still looking at paying someone to program it to work with your VIN, which the last guy I asked who had it done said he paid like $200.

Then you still have to get the other harnesses you mentioned and at the end the Navi still sucks.... lol

I swapped out my factory Navi in my 2008 LTZ for a Rosen GM1210 and I am very happy I did.

The factory Bose system sounds so much better off the new head unit.

That is another thing to consider. If your truck doesn't have the Bose system and you install a factory Navi that was from a Bose setup... which I believe most if not all are Bose equipped... then you will have really low output volume and you will need an amp to make it sound normal.
Do all of the steering wheel controls work normally? Does the voice control button work with the new radio?

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did this conversion in my '08. I used a 2010 or 2011 radio because it had a USB input. The only two reasons I did this versus aftermarket was because I got a deal on the OEM nav radio and because I wanted the rear seat radio controls to still work. All in, I have less invested than what a decent aftermarket radio would've cost not counting the necessary modules to retain all the other features (except for the rear seat controls- there aren't any modules that retain that. You have to keep OEM or spend the big bucks on the Rosen or the like).

The OEM navigation sucks and you don't have anywhere near the sound shaping capabilities of an aftermarket unit. You also don't have Bluetooth. Yes, you can swap another module for the OEM one that has Bluetooth, but it's still for phone calls only- not for streaming audio from a BT device. I didn't want mine for the navigation, that's just a "fringe benefit". I really just wanted it for the touchscreen and backup camera- both of which can be had (and better) with an aftermarket unit.

Personally, I'd save up and get the Alpine or Rosen or whatever other aftermarket units there are that have all the current features. Or, get a cheaper aftermarket touchscreen and all the necessary adapters and just lose the rear seat controls. Mine aren't used, so it wouldn't have been a loss, anyway.

You will have to have the OEM one programmed for your vehicle. It costs $100 plus shipping (about $15) to a shop in California that specializes in this. I wouldn't trust anyone else unless you knew for sure they were equipped and knowledgeable for it.

OP
OP
David Smith

David Smith

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did this conversion in my '08. I used a 2010 or 2011 radio because it had a USB input. The only two reasons I did this versus aftermarket was because I got a deal on the OEM nav radio and because I wanted the rear seat radio controls to still work. All in, I have less invested than what a decent aftermarket radio would've cost not counting the necessary modules to retain all the other features (except for the rear seat controls- there aren't any modules that retain that. You have to keep OEM or spend the big bucks on the Rosen or the like).

The OEM navigation sucks and you don't have anywhere near the sound shaping capabilities of an aftermarket unit. You also don't have Bluetooth. Yes, you can swap another module for the OEM one that has Bluetooth, but it's still for phone calls only- not for streaming audio from a BT device. I didn't want mine for the navigation, that's just a "fringe benefit". I really just wanted it for the touchscreen and backup camera- both of which can be had (and better) with an aftermarket unit.

Personally, I'd save up and get the Alpine or Rosen or whatever other aftermarket units there are that have all the current features. Or, get a cheaper aftermarket touchscreen and all the necessary adapters and just lose the rear seat controls. Mine aren't used, so it wouldn't have been a loss, anyway.

You will have to have the OEM one programmed for your vehicle. It costs $100 plus shipping (about $15) to a shop in California that specializes in this. I wouldn't trust anyone else unless you knew for sure they were equipped and knowledgeable for it.

The bluetooth was my main concern. I wanted a factory nav radio because I thought the bluetooth would let me play music. If not, I will just go aftermarket I guess. I just want ALL of my steering wheel controls to remain functional

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The bluetooth was my main concern. I wanted a factory nav radio because I thought the bluetooth would let me play music. If not, I will just go aftermarket I guess. I just want ALL of my steering wheel controls to remain functional

Retaining all steering wheel controls is no problem. It's the radio controls in the back of the center console that will be lost. But, does anyone actually plug in their headphones and tune into different radio and/or XM channels back there? You'll never miss them.

Me being so damned OCD about having EVERYTHING working, including those useless rear seat controls, adn finding the OEM touchscreen unit for cheap is why I went that route. Now, I regret it and wish I had saved up a little extra cash to go all aftermarket. I would've had so many more features: Better sound shaping, better navigation, Bluetooth for calls AND music, possibly bigger display, etc.