Inner tie rods

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KilluminatiDre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can't find any info on it. What exactly is involved in removing the inner tie rod?

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
loosen a nut, measure or count the revolutions while doing all this, unscrew, replace with new part measured to same length, get aligned, pretty simple
if one end involves a joint (tie-rod end), then loosen bolt and hit surrounding control arm with hammer until joint loosens
literally takes a few minutes but will require a alignment no way around that

Scottydoggs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
guy in the vid uses a pickle fork, i hit the spindle where the rod end passes through with a 5 lb sledge, i few good hits and it pops free, and dont tear up the boot.

OP
OP
K

KilluminatiDre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok thanks for the replies. I'm more concerned with disconnecting the inner tie rod. I wasn't sure if there was a nut or something underneath the boot to separate it or how exactly it separates.

Outer definitely looks easy. I just did both upper control arms so I'll be going in for an alignment after the inner and outer tie rod ends.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok thanks for the replies. I'm more concerned with disconnecting the inner tie rod. I wasn't sure if there was a nut or something underneath the boot to separate it or how exactly it separates.

Outer definitely looks easy. I just did both upper control arms so I'll be going in for an alignment after the inner and outer tie rod ends.
there is a nut on the inner but it is just for locking the rod in place, once you have screwed it all the way in, it just takes a short turn and your done

OP
OP
K

KilluminatiDre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I couldnt get the inner tie rod off. It wouldnt turn. Took it to a shop and they had to heat it up.

Chubbs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I couldnt get the inner tie rod off. It wouldnt turn. Took it to a shop and they had to heat it up.

The inner tie Rod is installed with thread locker. I learned all about using heat on tie rods when I replaced the outer ends on my old lady's car. The outer isn't glued to the inner but my theory is that because of dissimilar metals, the threads shrunk together. I couldn't budge it for anything until I borrowed my brothers propane torch, now I keep it in my truck since it saved the day for me on that project.

OP
OP
K

KilluminatiDre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The inner tie Rod is installed with thread locker. I learned all about using heat on tie rods when I replaced the outer ends on my old lady's car. The outer isn't glued to the inner but my theory is that because of dissimilar metals, the threads shrunk together. I couldn't budge it for anything until I borrowed my brothers propane torch, now I keep it in my truck since it saved the day for me on that project.

I never had a chance with that 12'' crescent wrench and no heat lmao

Chubbs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
oh hell dude you should have seen me with a crescent wrench and 18" cheater pipe. stupid a$$, little-bitty tie rod end would not even budge on the passenger side. no rust, no corrosion, I didn't know what in the hell the problem was. I started reading online that guys would use (2) 18-24 inch pipe wrenches and oxy-fuel rig to loosen the tie rod ends on the old jeep Cherokee track bars, mostly due to rust. Not the same thing but gave me an idea to apply some fire and after 1-2 mins of heat, the parts came undone. i consider the butane torch an essential tool, now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchievu