In need of a new SUV

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BK76

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 3rd row is basically more useless than the 3rd row in the 4Runner. The interior specs in the Sequoia are better than the Yukon but, as mentioned, it is a dated design and not so exciting interior. For those reasons, getting an XL or Suburban is probably the better bet but the SLT midpoint trim is nicer than the LT (no fog lights on models under LTZ???).

Great write up. It seems where ever I go, they don't have the Tahoe/Yukons to rent. They always want to give me Mini Vans or smaller SUVs. Maybe its just the areas I travel?

Anyway, I do have the LT and I have the Fog Lights. I think between my LT and the LTZ, I am only missing 2, maybe 3 options that come on the LTZ, so you are not always going to miss out on the fog lights when getting the LT. The main thing I wanted but didn't get with the LT was the stronger and brighter LED lights for the Daytime Running. Didn't realize until after the fact that going one model up and a few more grand would have given me what i loved the most about the Tahoe/Burban. Also strangely.... loving the look of the Yukon that I spent most of my time at the Chevy place 10 miles away and never even swung by the GMC place 5 miles away the opposite direction. Either way, I am happy with the Tahoe and have enjoyed playing around with it.

Do you need the XL or Burb? Seems like with 2 kids, you would be fine with the Tahoe or Yukon platform only. I have a 12 year old and 6mos old granddaughter that we get to tag along on the weekends and have still not used the 3rd row. We have plenty of space behind and even when placing baby along with Mommy and Auntie in the back, they are all comfy and still not using the 3rd row.

I miss my old 2007 Yukon XL that I had prior to the Tahoe, but even that ride, I only used the 3rd row 3 maybe for times.... usually work related.

Best of luck!

JayceeP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Great write up. It seems where ever I go, they don't have the Tahoe/Yukons to rent. They always want to give me Mini Vans or smaller SUVs. Maybe its just the areas I travel?

Anyway, I do have the LT and I have the Fog Lights. I think between my LT and the LTZ, I am only missing 2, maybe 3 options that come on the LTZ, so you are not always going to miss out on the fog lights when getting the LT. The main thing I wanted but didn't get with the LT was the stronger and brighter LED lights for the Daytime Running. Didn't realize until after the fact that going one model up and a few more grand would have given me what i loved the most about the Tahoe/Burban. Also strangely.... loving the look of the Yukon that I spent most of my time at the Chevy place 10 miles away and never even swung by the GMC place 5 miles away the opposite direction. Either way, I am happy with the Tahoe and have enjoyed playing around with it.

Do you need the XL or Burb? Seems like with 2 kids, you would be fine with the Tahoe or Yukon platform only. I have a 12 year old and 6mos old granddaughter that we get to tag along on the weekends and have still not used the 3rd row. We have plenty of space behind and even when placing baby along with Mommy and Auntie in the back, they are all comfy and still not using the 3rd row.

I miss my old 2007 Yukon XL that I had prior to the Tahoe, but even that ride, I only used the 3rd row 3 maybe for times.... usually work related.

Best of luck!
Thanks! I think you're right... i don't need a long body but I just hate that a full-size SUV has such a crappy 3rd row. My step-son said it was worse than the 4Runner in the Yukon. The rental on the SLT was amazing though- $500 for 2 weeks! Couldn't believe it.

In the meantime, I stumbled across this http://www.steeleauto.com/used/chevrolet/2015-chevrolet-tahoe-25310 nice Tahoe with the luxury options mentioned. Looks great but has high mileage (58,000mi) and A LOT of service records on car proof. I've emailed the dealer about it.

Last edited:

ajs800

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks! I think you're right... i don't need a long body but I just hate that a full-size SUV has such a crappy 3rd row. My step-son said it was worse than the 4Runner in the Yukon. The rental on the SLT was amazing though- $500 for 2 weeks! Couldn't believe it.

In the meantime, I stumbled across this http://www.steeleauto.com/used/chevrolet/2015-chevrolet-tahoe-25310 nice Tahoe with the luxury options mentioned. Looks great but has high mileage (58,000mi) and A LOT of service records on car proof. I've emailed the dealer about it.

plus two wrecks... I think I'd pass.

JayceeP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
plus two wrecks... I think I'd pass.
I did see that. I know the small damage is a scratch/paint repair. The larger damage is front end. The rep said bumper/fender but I don't know exactly without seeing the service records. Depending on what it was, it wouldn't necessarily deter me just because repairs are always insanely expensive.

Last edited:

Ont240

Reaction score
Have been very happy with 07 Tahoe Lt 4x4 purchased at 170000 Km now has 230+.
Use it for towing as well. Canadian winter roads with salt are ******* brakes/rotors but easy and inexpensive to replace.
One front wheel bearing-again replaced myself.
The newer you get the better the mileage will be with direct injection

crunchcity

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks! I think you're right... i don't need a long body but I just hate that a full-size SUV has such a crappy 3rd row. My step-son said it was worse than the 4Runner in the Yukon.

They really should offer a 3rd row delete option on the short body, like the 4Runner. That way each body style is optimized for what it is interior space wise (imo)...

Glocksub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I took a 2017 Tahoe 2wd with 20in wheels, 3.42 rear end and roof rack cross rails installed from a dealer lot the other day. It had 4 miles on it when I got in. Absolutely no buffeting/booming that I could detect, and zero vibrations. I was extremely pleased at how well it rode, at all speeds, including cruise set at 80mph for several miles. I put about 50 miles on it total, probably 50/50 hwy and city streets.

FYI- The tires (continental) were showing at 41 psi after about 15 miles of driving, so they were certainly over inflated when cold before I drove it. I aired them down to 37, which improved the ride somewhat, although it was not by any means objectionable at the over inflated pressure they started with. The door jamb sticker called for 35psi cold.

ajs800

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I took a 2017 Tahoe 2wd with 20in wheels, 3.42 rear end and roof rack cross rails installed from a dealer lot the other day. It had 4 miles on it when I got in. Absolutely no buffeting/booming that I could detect, and zero vibrations. I was extremely pleased at how well it rode, at all speeds, including cruise set at 80mph for several miles. I put about 50 miles on it total, probably 50/50 hwy and city streets.

FYI- The tires (continental) were showing at 41 psi after about 15 miles of driving, so they were certainly over inflated when cold before I drove it. I aired them down to 37, which improved the ride somewhat, although it was not by any means objectionable at the over inflated pressure they started with. The door jamb sticker called for 35psi cold.

Glad to hear. I know it's the short version but have you driven one with the buffeting?

Glocksub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Glad to hear. I know it's the short version but have you driven one with the buffeting?

I've yet to drive a 2017 that had buffeting that was noticeable to me, and I've only driven 2017 suv's. This is the second Tahoe I've driven and I also spent some time in a suburban. The first '17 tahoe I drove also had 20's and bridgestones and it had a pretty bad vibration that was felt through the steering wheel that never totally went away. That alone would've prevented me from buying that unit. I noticed some booming in that one over low speed road imperfections in the dealer parking lot, but no buffeting.

I've ridden in a couple of hardtop wranglers that had the buffeting and it was very unpleasant. So much so that getting caught in traffic and having to stop was a welcome "break" for my ears.

ajs800

Full Access Member
Reaction score
that's the thing...I've not heard or read from many that felt it in one and not another which makes me think some are clearly not affected by it. It seems once someone feels it they notice it in every one they drive.

Once I find time, I'll probably test drive a few 17s and then decide what we're going to do.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mistehkins