In need of a new SUV

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ajs800

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the two captains chairs in my Tahoe for the second row and each seat has a car seat in it and I find no issues with the fit along with having ample room up front for myself and any passengers. One car seat is forward facing while the other is still rear facing.

We have buckets as well with carseats and have zero issues regarding fitment. We had the middle bench but swapped it out with chairs shortly after purchasing as the bench is annoying if you have 2+ kids.

some disagree, but if the 3rd row is used daily, the captain chairs are the only way to go (with XL/burb).

Regarding the vehicle, I know there are many happy folks, but going on 2yrs with our XL, the time to unload it can't come soon enough. We will most likely be going with the new Expedition or Navigator the 1st month they are available.

chicagofan00

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We have buckets as well with carseats and have zero issues regarding fitment. We had the middle bench but swapped it out with chairs shortly after purchasing as the bench is annoying if you have 2+ kids.

some disagree, but if the 3rd row is used daily, the captain chairs are the only way to go (with XL/burb).

Regarding the vehicle, I know there are many happy folks, but going on 2yrs with our XL, the time to unload it can't come soon enough. We will most likely be going with the new Expedition or Navigator the 1st month they are available.

No matter who the manufacturer is, I would never buy a new redesign model in the first most of production. To risky with the factory just getting up and running with putting that new design together. I'd at least wait 6 months to see what some of the consumer feedback is.

ajs800

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No matter who the manufacturer is, I would never buy a new redesign model in the first most of production. To risky with the factory just getting up and running with putting that new design together. I'd at least wait 6 months to see what some of the consumer feedback is.

yeah, i know but plan to do a short-term lease then purchase if all good. Obviously my luck with first run yukon has not gone well. However, our 11 grand cherokee overland (1st model) has been solid the last 5.5yrs and 90k miles with one visit to dealer...about 10 times less than the yukon in 2yrs.

I'd rather take that chance then hold onto the yukon.

Last edited:

JayceeP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can you share some of your issues?

JayceeP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Look, gm sells a ton more full size suvs than toy. Every former toy/honda owner combs through them looking for anything to ***** about, where they blissfully ignored the issues they had with their underequipped toy to enforced the reliability mantra (honda guys are really bad about this). A true comparison is an LS or SLE with leather seat upgrade - there you will have a toy comparison. I went the other way with an MDX and found all sorts of issues to "report." I do think you may have more issues on average with gm than japenese import (though fewer than euro), but you will have more American creature comforts, and a better dealer experience. EVERY TIME I took in an Acura or Toy, the dealer would try to unload some sort of guilt crap on you to help enforced their supposed impeccable reliability, and the seats were full of owners who probably never signed in to an online toyota forum. Chevy dealer (been a while for me) would give me loaner and get me in and out asap. I buy gm trucks because they have never left me stranded like the mdx did. Tired of people acting like their totota dealer had a dark dusty service departmwnt with just an oil change stall...

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk
The 4Runner guys are not shy about the fact that Toyota is not very adventurous with new technology. There is more emphasis on building proven technology that works and is reliable. The 4Runner guys buy 4Runners for this very reason. They don't want too many gizmos. They want BOF off-roading capability that works just like new after many years in the road. Scroll through the 4Runner forums and notice that, despite how busy and active that forum is, there are very few "issues" threads and most of the ones that are there are form guys who put lifts on. Also, GM has the privilege of being a fleet company that sells boatloads of vehicles to rental companies and governments all over. That definitely skews results.

Anyway- I agree with you. More creature comforts in the Yukon/Tahoe line and with that comes additional potential issues. I loved the Yukon and am seriously considering an XL or Suburban (wife says the 4Runner is too small). I'm snooping around these treads looking for good and bad and your comments are helpful because, yeah I'm getting more "stuff" with these options as opposed to my 4Runner or Sequoia which is lagging . I'd like to wait around for the Sequoia re-design but, if I want to pick up a 1-2 year old model then I'm easily waiting 3 years. There are lots of 2016's to choose from with well equipped SLT/LT XL's and Burbans. The only thing I don't like about the Chev's is the LT's don't have fog lights or power folding seats. It's a pain in the ass to do the third row in a Suburban, esp without captains chairs. Whatever we eventually go with, I'd like to get the 20's or 22's in it. I'm ok with the 18's but the larger wheel definitely makes these things look more stately.

Thanks for keeping me grounded :).

Last edited:

ajs800

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can you share some of your issues?

Buffeting vibrating issues for the 1st year. After multiple sets of tires, I went to an independent tire shop an purchased a set of michelins and made sure they all road forced under 15lbs. Shop ordered 8 tires just to be safe as they knew what I had been dealing with. They improved the buffeting for the most part although it can be felt at times and more often now being that the tires are 50% worn. This was all out of pocket as GM was not willing do anything other than re-balance oem tires and a couple other TSB that had been issued for the buffeting problem. An Engineer working on my case told me they weren't having much luck with the TSBs for the buffeting so I elected not to have any of them completed...driveline related, reseal roof bows, etc.

-Buffeting - Even though the tires masked most of it, I still get complaints from some after riding in truck for long periods.
-Low speed booming when going over any imperfection (supposedly dampers can be installed to correct this problem on 15/16 models)
-Steering column bearing spring defective (common with 15s and maybe early 16s)
-Main oil line leak (replaced under warranty)
-Tranny leak in two places (not covered under pwr train)
-Rear ring and pinion replaced at 35k and is need of work again (55k miles)
-Front Ring and pinion is making noise but have not yet had it replaced
-Adjustable brake/gas pedals stopped working...fortunately they are frozen in an okay position
-Dealer claims both front and lower control arms are worn out and need replaced ($2k repair.) Dealer also claims that this is common (wtf??) we are not replacing.

There are other small items that are somewhat typical of any vehicle but the above are the main items over the past 20mos that are unacceptable not to mention how GM has handled most of it. However, the buffeting is the killer...I know there are lemons and we were ready to trade for a 16 or 17, but I've been in countless trucks and majority have the buffeting issue so each time we passed on the idea.

My best advice is to drive the truck for a few days and go from there. It's very clear that many don't feel the buffeting problem and are very happy. Also, if buying used, try to really dig for the history as there are a ton of low mile trucks on the used market (wonder why???)

Good luck!

Last edited:

chicagofan00

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The only thing I don't like about the Chev's is the LT's don't have fog lights or power folding seats. It's a pain in the ass to do the third row in a Suburban, esp without captains chairs.

Just look for an LT with the Luxury package, it will give you the power folding seats and fog lights.

JayceeP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Buffeting vibrating issues for the 1st year. After multiple sets of tires, I went to an independent tire shop an purchased a set of michelins and made sure they all road forced under 15lbs. Shop ordered 8 tires just to be safe as they knew what I had been dealing with. They improved the buffeting for the most part although it can be felt at times and more often now being that the tires are 50% worn. This was all out of pocket as GM was not willing do anything other than re-balance oem tires and a couple other TSB that had been issued for the buffeting problem. An Engineer working on my case told me they weren't having much luck with the TSBs for the buffeting so I elected not to have any of them completed...driveline related, reseal roof bows, etc.

-Buffeting - Even though the tires masked most of it, I still get complaints from some after riding in truck for long periods.
-Low speed booming when going over any imperfection (supposedly dampers can be installed to correct this problem on 15/16 models)
-Steering column bearing spring defective (common with 15s and maybe early 16s)
-Main oil line leak (replaced under warranty)
-Tranny leak in two places (not covered under pwr train)
-Rear ring and pinion replaced at 35k and is need of work again (55k miles)
-Front Ring and pinion is making noise but have not yet had it replaced
-Adjustable brake/gas pedals stopped working...fortunately they are frozen in an okay position
-Dealer claims both front and lower control arms are worn out and need replaced ($2k repair.) Dealer also claims that this is common (wtf??) we are not replacing.

There are other small items that are somewhat typical of any vehicle but the above are the main items over the past 20mos that are unacceptable not to mention how GM has handled most of it. However, the buffeting is the killer...I know there are lemons and we were ready to trade for a 16 or 17, but I've been in countless trucks and majority have the buffeting issue so each time we passed on the idea.

My best advice is to drive the truck for a few days and go from there. It's very clear that many don't feel the buffeting problem and are very happy. Also, if buying used, try to really dig for the history as there are a ton of low mile trucks on the used market (wonder why???)

Good luck!

Thanks for typing all of that out- I really appreciate it. I ask myself the same thing. Either people don't want to drive around in a massive tank or the issue is the vehicle itself. A lot of your issues are quite alarming and, again, makes me hesitant to jump from my Toyota. In my 4 years on the Toyota forums (with close to 1,000 posts) I have never read about anyone having that much grief with a vehicle. I would definitely try and negotiate extended warranty into the deal for these very reasons. I should go test drive some XL/Burbans just to see... even if I don't plan to buy new. Seems as though the extended body is more prone to the buffeting and it would also drive me insane dealing with it.

ajs800

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for typing all of that out- I really appreciate it. I ask myself the same thing. Either people don't want to drive around in a massive tank or the issue is the vehicle itself. A lot of your issues are quite alarming and, again, makes me hesitant to jump from my Toyota. In my 4 years on the Toyota forums (with close to 1,000 posts) I have never read about anyone having that much grief with a vehicle. I would definitely try and negotiate extended warranty into the deal for these very reasons. I should go test drive some XL/Burbans just to see... even if I don't plan to buy new. Seems as though the extended body is more prone to the buffeting and it would also drive me insane dealing with it.

yes, the buffeting does seem to be more of an issue with the extended versions. Outside of the buffeting and vibration problem, I don't think the other issues we're dealing with are widespread. And many of the little things are more specific to the 15 model year, I believe.

I know what you're saying regarding other vehicles and ownership experiences. For the most part we loved our previous full size GM suvs and had very little issues...the '12 Traverse which is what we had prior to the 15 Yukon had multiple things go bad all before 70k miles. Meanwhile, I have a 11 grand cherokee overland (I know some wouldn't touch a jeep) and it's been flawless with just about 90k on the clock now. It still drives like the day we drove it off the lot...just like the Acura TL I had before it.

I would like to think you'd be fine with a CPO truck or new as long as you have a good relationship with the dealer. Just make sure you drive it for a few days before pulling the trigger.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Willis12345