IDIOT GOT SCAMMED! Please help!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Steve A

Reaction score
you can actually take the guy to small claims court if you can prove that he knew that the motor was shot..

I wouldn't think proving he knew would be too hard, you have the "real owner's name and number" so all you need is an affidavit probably that he sold it to the flipper and that the flipper knew the motor was bad.

Gmc lovin75

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So you have a mint 99 tahoe with 67k on it and you paid 1700 and it needs a lower end.I cant see you spending more than a grand to find a short block even if used-How many 99 tahoes are left on earth with 67k on them.Is it 4wd if so i might be interested in it no problem.Yes you got screwed over but fix it and get your cash back-were can you buy a full size suv with less than 70 k for under 5000 these days.Any pics of the tahoe
Exactly what I would do... Never let a shop give you a quote on anything because that price is going to be 90% worth of labor alone. You can find a good used motor for under a grand and get a buddy that knows what he's doing to help you swap it out one weekend. All is not lost if you just take our advice.

bunchz71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So you have a mint 99 tahoe with 67k on it and you paid 1700 and it needs a lower end.I cant see you spending more than a grand to find a short block even if used-How many 99 tahoes are left on earth with 67k on them.Is it 4wd if so i might be interested in it no problem.Yes you got screwed over but fix it and get your cash back-were can you buy a full size suv with less than 70 k for under 5000 these days.Any pics of the tahoe
That sucks you got scammed, but a huge red flag is written here. I would be very skeptical of a 99 tahoe that has 67K. I have not personally done this, but know it is possible, but on these model trucks, you can unplug the odometer, and the speedo still works. I would be very very cautious to anyone who finds these "bargains on these vehicles with low miles. When I was looking to buy my Hoe, I would not buy anything that had 80 or 90 K on in because it was too good to be true. This design was a major flaw on GM's part and should have never been built the way it was. It makes these rides hold their value cuz of the low miles, but when guys like us want to buy a vehicle, we are paying the value of a ride based on the mileage of 67K, and for all we know the mileage is 167K.

My 2 Cents.

04SS99Denali

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IF and i say IF the body / interior / mileage is true, and its really that clean. you really didnt get taken that bad. just drop in a rebuild and use the truck. for a running truck with 67k original in a "mint state" would value at like 4-5k. let it be a lesson learned that you never ever take the sellers word on a car. always do a thorough inspection.

i bought one of my old beater trucks it was a 99 denali for a steal. truck had been sitting for 2 years un touched. before buying it i started it up to discover a knocking noise but noticed the oil was empty. figured it was sitting so it got drained before letting it sit. figured the noise would go away with some oil. wrong, it never did not even with 20-50 lol. but lucky for me the motor ran for 2 years like 30k miles making 5 psi at idle. traded it in before it got worse.

97WhiteYukon

Reaction score
I agree if it is in mint condition it doesn't sound so bad, the body and interior, if complete could be worth 1700 alone.

1999hoe

aka HOVERHOE
Reaction score
I say toss it on ebay if its in nie overall condition other than the motor there is absolutely someone who will buy it start at 1000 no reserve would be shocked if it dodnt go for more than 2k