IDIOT GOT SCAMMED! Please help!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

antx227

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
That idiot is me... I found a 1999 Chevy Tahoe LS for sale for $1700 online with only 67k miles. The truck is really clean inside and out. He tells me the car belonged to his grandfather and now it is his, but the car is just too big for him since he drives a small hybrid. He told me the car ran perfectly, but just one day the car just wouldn't start. Me being naive thought it was probably just a dead battery or the alternator needed to be replaced and took his word that nothing was wrong with it. I didn't want to try myself because he told me if I can get it started he wouldn't even want to sell it for so cheap (I am a complete idiot). We take care of the paperwork and I pay him cash. He doesn't even ask for my information to complete the top section of the pink slip and leaves.

I take my jumpers out and start it up and it makes a really loud knocking noise coming from the motor. I call the guy and he tells me all sales are final and thats it no response. He doesn't pick up so I look up the guys info online and call him on a different number. The real owner picks up and tells me he sold the car for $300 a few days ago. I tow the car to the mechanic to find out the rod is what is knocking. I know I'm an idiot and trust me I feel like a huge one. In California sellers have to smog the car before selling, but I don't want to go after a guy that had nothing to do with me being scammed. Mechanic told me my best bet is to junk the car as it will cost 3-4k to buy a motor and with that money I can buy another whole car online. Any suggestions? I'm such an idiot...

NathanJax

Vacation Nathan
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sorry you got taken, but it was a valuable lesson.

Junk it. Unless you are able to get a motor cheap and do all the work yourself.

corvette744

2004 Z-71
Reaction score
So you have a mint 99 tahoe with 67k on it and you paid 1700 and it needs a lower end.I cant see you spending more than a grand to find a short block even if used-How many 99 tahoes are left on earth with 67k on them.Is it 4wd if so i might be interested in it no problem.Yes you got screwed over but fix it and get your cash back-were can you buy a full size suv with less than 70 k for under 5000 these days.Any pics of the tahoe

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it's condition other than the motor is as nice as it should be for 67K miles and the paperwork is legit and it can be titled (no salvage or odometer discrepancies), then I'd find the lowest mileage used motor I could find and swap it in. The motor may not have 67K miles on it, but if it was taken care of, it'll last 300K+ easy. They can be swapped out in a day so it would just be labor and fluids. You just have to find an honest and dedicated mechanic.

Urbs1391

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 99' 2-Door 4X4 that I'm restoring for my son, I live in Corpus Christi, Tejas. I have dealt with City Motor Supply in San Antonio and Dallas for all my Short/Long blocks. Two weeks ago I picked up a 5.7 Premium Long Block - Short Block, Heads, Lifters, Push rods, rocker arms, Premium full gasket kit, and New Oil Pump - ALL Internals are NEW. After returning the core I was 1100 deep. Truck just hit 600 miles, and WOW is all I can say. The rest of the truck will get new parts as it needs it but for the most part I am very happy I went that route. Just my .02.

dkknaebel

Keeping LKQ in business
Reaction score
I got a GM crate motor for my 1995 for $1600 on ebay. Drop shipped it to the husband's work and 3 year 100k mile warranty on it.

corvette744

2004 Z-71
Reaction score
It looks like its a 4dr..., if it were a 2dr I'd be all over it. If anyone is interested, found it relisted on CL for sale

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/cto/d/very-clean-low-miles-1999/6322700509.html
If it wasnt 1000's of miles away-shipping charges i would take it.I dont like the fact that the mileage looks a little sketchy in the pic numbers dont line up-plus R&R a new bumper starting to add up.Still worth it for someone that lives close and would not have to ship it to fix it.I would give 3500 all day if it was fixed including bumper so i could drive it home.

igell

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you can actually take the guy to small claims court if you can prove that he knew that the motor was shot..