Ideas on cigarette lighter?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RGA1215

Reaction score
Hello everyone! I constantly have the cord from my dash cam plugged into the cigarette lighter. I already have the wire ran through the headliner and pillars and everything, but I wish I didn't have to always see the wire plugged into the cigarette lighter. I have attached a picture of what it looks like right now. I still need the capability to plug and unplug the wire, so I don't want anything hardwired. I just can't think of an idea, but maybe someone with a more creative imagination can chime in and help! Thanks!

IMG_0871.JPG

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Put the hardwired switch in the ashtray, pull it open shut it off close it, never see it again

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
Same thought here, tap into the lighter and just toggle it wherever you want. Might even find a switch that replaces the lighter if you wanted.

MrBalll

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Might could put the plug in the glove box so you can somewhat hide the wire behind the spot between the airbag and dash cover.

mals

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone! I constantly have the cord from my dash cam plugged into the cigarette lighter. I already have the wire ran through the headliner and pillars and everything, but I wish I didn't have to always see the wire plugged into the cigarette lighter. I have attached a picture of what it looks like right now. I still need the capability to plug and unplug the wire, so I don't want anything hardwired. I just can't think of an idea, but maybe someone with a more creative imagination can chime in and help! Thanks!

View attachment 81511

I tapped into the accessory power socket located behind a square plastic cover below the parking break.

There is a socket next to the socket where you would plug in a trailer break controller. Of the 5 or 6 pins in the socket one is ground, one is 12v constant, and one is 12v switched by the ignition. I made a harness that plugs onto the ground and 12v switched on one end and has two cigarette style sockets on the other.

I have a permanent dash mount for my GPS and cell phone so I plugged their power supplies into those two sockets, zip tide every thing up neatly, and tucked it up out of the way.

When I shut the vehicle off the power is cut off to the chargers and my GPS senses the change and powers down. No worries about a parasitic draw when I am not running and no visible power supplies.

mattbta

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I tapped into the accessory power socket located behind a square plastic cover below the parking break.

There is a socket next to the socket where you would plug in a trailer break controller. Of the 5 or 6 pins in the socket one is ground, one is 12v constant, and one is 12v switched by the ignition. I made a harness that plugs onto the ground and 12v switched on one end and has two cigarette style sockets on the other.

I have a permanent dash mount for my GPS and cell phone so I plugged their power supplies into those two sockets, zip tide every thing up neatly, and tucked it up out of the way.

When I shut the vehicle off the power is cut off to the chargers and my GPS senses the change and powers down. No worries about a parasitic draw when I am not running and no visible power supplies.
I'd pay you for a similar harness. That's exactly what I need and have crap for soldering skills. Seems you did it the right way for grabbing RAP off the upfitter stuff.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
16yukon