I need some advice/ info/ prayers for replacing a brake line.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TURNz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2001 Tahoe 4wd

This morning i blew the main front to rear brake line. Above the frame, by the gas tank.

I'm not sure where it starts or ends. I can't even see it, i can only touch it.

No lift, so i'm working on the ground. I assume that i have to buy a straight piece and do the bending, cutting and flaring. I can't drop the tank, so i'm hoping I can reroute it outside the frame rail.

Any thoughts here? anybody do this already and have the secret? I don't have the money to take it to a mechanic.

UrbanSuburban

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sorry to hear about your trouble, You have got to be very careful when replacing this line, it will come from under the drivers side door and go straight back on top of the frame rail. Under the drivers door is the Abs Pump, it has five or six connections depending on what style of abs you have, it does sound like the five though. You don't have to put it on top of the rail as it can go on the outside of the frame near the top. It will go to a cross frame under the spare tire and connect to a tee junction. you will have to do some contortions to get it down. Usually the rubber hose that it connects with is shot as well. Be wary of the ABS pump as getting those fittings out can be a problem.
Make sure your caliper bleeders will come out or you will need new calipers. Good luck with it

UrbanSuburban

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did the complete system on my suburban and got the complete package which was stainless steel from Dorman at Rock auto. 45 dollars which included the fittings.

OP
OP
TURNz

TURNz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i found dorman (919-152) and acdelco (22933217) on amazon. Is one better than the other?

95escahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i found dorman (919-152) and acdelco (22933217) on amazon. Is one better than the other?

The Dorman one is SS and the GM one is just coated brake lines

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
TURNz

TURNz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Dorman one is SS and the GM one is just coated brake lines

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I only found acdelco on Rockauto.

I guess ill go stainless with Dorman from Amazon.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
There is a great video out there on you tube of a dude showing how he sneaks it in there through the wheel well without dropping the tank. He had a dark red nbs tahoe if memory serves.

OP
OP
TURNz

TURNz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is a great video out there on you tube of a dude showing how he sneaks it in there through the wheel well without dropping the tank. He had a dark red nbs tahoe if memory serves.
Yep, i watched it. Hope it works for me.

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
Yep, i watched it. Hope it works for me.

Good luck. Take pics and let us know how it goes. I had thoughts of doing mine while the tank was out for a pump, but had to keep schedule... Know it's coming one of these days.

OP
OP
TURNz

TURNz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I sprayed the joints. Of course it has to be the highest one on the ABS unit. Not sure how to get to it.

And the rear seems to meet a union where the rubber hose to the rear diff is.
Its above the spare tire cross member. I can't see it, but i can touch it.

Not sure how that's going to go. It doesn't feel scaly, so maybe it will come out ok.

Im headed to buy the proper wrench, but I'm wondering if i can even get a wrench in there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DefiantOne