I need help...My last resort with this truck.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Repaired_Tahoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Ok so I own a 07’ Tahoe LS 5.3L V8 FlexFuel that me and my current “ex-wife” had purchased during car our marriage in December of 06...Ok so when we had gotten a divorce I decided to let her keep the truck since I had multiple other cars to drive and since we didn’t end our marriage on a bad note I just decided to give it too her...(Enough about my personal life) So now fast forward to a few years later my she sent me the truck back and said she no longer wanted it becuase she had gotten another vehicle...First thing is I should’ve known that she doesn’t take care of cars since I was married to her but I gave her the Tahoe anyways. So real reason why she didn’t want it is becuase A. She never changed the oil after she had acquired the truck with 77k miles on it and she was just pouring cheap oil into the truck, B. The truck came back to me with 145k miles on it and was in horrible condition the truck looked like it hadn’t been washed in 3 years. So now onto the bad parts so when I got it back the check engine light was on, TPMS light was on and (I)Brake light was on, car wasn’t leaking brake fluid inside the wheels and now the wheels have the “Clear Coat” (or whatever is on these wheels) is completely gone, and on top of that having thick and I MEAN THICK brake dust sitting on top of the wheels didn’t help at all. Also the car was idling super rough and was shooting white smoke everywhere and the engine had a loud knocking sound. So I fixed that problem once (took to mechanic) then same problem happened AGAIN fixed it once again (But for some reason car wasn’t repaired fully and was still ticking and had a horrible engine knock). Ok so fast forward to August of 2017 same thing happened again for the Third time!! But this time it brought some more issues with it for instance: the car engine ticking/knocking has gotten completely worse, power steering pump has failed, car has a awful gasoline smell, check engine light now flashing,Traction’s Control and Stabilitrack Failure, AC/Heat completely stopped working in the front (rear works fine), once the car gets shut off the engine will vibrate super hard and make the entire car shake violently, interior and exterior lights flicker when car is on and running. So since August of 2017 my car was with my local mechanic since the beginning of March of 2018. He was telling me that he was fixing everything that was wrong with the car. So turns on he actually wasn’t fixing my truck and he just had it sitting in his driveway and he was driving it (my car had an extra 4,738 miles on it when I got it back). So eventually I went to where he was and took a tow truck and took my truck to my parents house and I took it upon myself to replace the alternator, Brakes, Rotors and Pads and tires. So fast forward to last week took my car to the dealership (which I should’ve done in the first place). They quoted me $3,800 to fix it. So I called my dad and brother up and we talked about it for a while and we came to the conclusion that the engine just needs to be replaced and it would be way cheaper to have the engine replaced. So I have a few questions about engine replacement since I’ve never had to replace an engine in any of my other cars.

1. My car has the 5.3L V8 FlexFuel Engine from factory. So can I replace it with the 6.2l that some LTZ trucks had?

2. How long does this process usually take?

Those are 2 of the questions I could think of right now.

~ All Responses appreciated

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, you can put in a 6.2 but will have to remove VVT from them and if an L94, the AFM components. Try to get the replacement engine's computer but either way it's going to need a tune to turn off AFM and VVT. 2007-2009 5.3s did not have VVT. The engine of choice will be the 6.2 liter L9H. Some of the parts from your engine can be used when deleting VVT, not a big deal.

If that engine is too difficult to procure, look into the 6.0 L96. You could also rebuild your old motor or get one from the years mentioned above and delete the AFM components for better reliability.

Couple of days if you have never done it before and are doing it at home with hand tools. Give it a week for all the hard stuff and getting the computer aligned to your VIN and the new engine will take the longest usually.

I hate thieves and liars, that mechanic...

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You might also look around for a Tahoe if that style and miles and see what they’re going for.

calif phil

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sell it as is for $1000 and buy something else. It's not going to stop being a money pit after a new engine. What are you going to do after you get the new engine in and the trans goes out, spend another $2500 on it? plus it's going to remind you of the Ex every time you drive it.

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
Cut and run, dude. A vehicle that hasn't been cared for isn't young to get better in the long run.

OP
OP
Repaired_Tahoe

Repaired_Tahoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Cut and run, dude. A vehicle that hasn't been cared for isn't young to get better in the long run.

I would just leave the car as is and just sell it to someone who’s has time to fix
Yes, you can put in a 6.2 but will have to remove VVT from them and if an L94, the AFM components. Try to get the replacement engine's computer but either way it's going to need a tune to turn off AFM and VVT. 2007-2009 5.3s did not have VVT. The engine of choice will be the 6.2 liter L9H. Some of the parts from your engine can be used when deleting VVT, not a big deal.

If that engine is too difficult to procure, look into the 6.0 L96. You could also rebuild your old motor or get one from the years mentioned above and delete the AFM components for better reliability.

Couple of days if you have never done it before and are doing it at home with hand tools. Give it a week for all the hard stuff and getting the computer aligned to your VIN and the new engine will take the longest usually.

I hate thieves and liars, that mechanic...

Think I might just put in another 5.3l but am supposed to get the flex fuel engine since my 5.3l is FlexFuel?

OP
OP
Repaired_Tahoe

Repaired_Tahoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Sell it as is for $1000 and buy something else. It's not going to stop being a money pit after a new engine. What are you going to do after you get the new engine in and the trans goes out, spend another $2500 on it? plus it's going to remind you of the Ex every time you drive it.

The more money it needs I’ll be willing to pay for it. I want to see it hit 200k Miles...Also what are the chances of the Trans going out? And if it does can’t I just rebuild it?

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don’t blame you. Sounds like the spli was amicable so no problem there. Go to a junk yard or even buy a long block that’s exactly the same as what’s in it now. Then you have less matching up to do. Yes the trans can be rebuilt but it’s still $1500 minimum. When you pull the engine take the trans to a shop you trust. You’ll at least save the labor cost of R&R. You’re only hoping for 31k miles but that’s a good bit of money for that. Make it a project and take pics to help the next guy. Good luck

OP
OP
Repaired_Tahoe

Repaired_Tahoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I don’t blame you. Sounds like the spli was amicable so no problem there. Go to a junk yard or even buy a long block that’s exactly the same as what’s in it now. Then you have less matching up to do. Yes the trans can be rebuilt but it’s still $1500 minimum. When you pull the engine take the trans to a shop you trust. You’ll at least save the labor cost of R&R. You’re only hoping for 31k miles but that’s a good bit of money for that. Make it a project and take pics to help the next guy. Good luck

Thanks!! I actually talked to a local junk yard and they have an 5.3l from an 04’ Salvaged Tahoe....Only problem is I’m pretty sure it’s not a FlexFuel and it only has 295 HP and my 07’ has 320 HP. I don’t want to lose that horsepower.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juju14