I don't like this noise...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
D is for DENALI

D is for DENALI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
20171114_092255.jpg

Here are my code sets... I see an NR3, not NR4, and a NP5, not NP8... what does this mean?

I looked on rock auto and there are multiple diff sizes..

OP
OP
D is for DENALI

D is for DENALI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here is a little bit of what i found in a couple minutes.. hope this might help anyone scrolling threads.

RPO NR4 - AWD with 4 WD Low (AKA: AutoTrac)
RPO NR3 - AWD with out 4 WD Low (Denali)
RPO NP8 - Auto 4WD, 4WD, 2WD, 4WD Low

NR4 and NR3 use the same software algorithm to detect rear wheel slipage and put power to the front wheels, typically with in 300 ms.

Yukons come standard with limited slip rear unless the vehicle is equiped with Stabilitrac (begining in MY05, you can have limited slip with Stabilitrac).

Denalis come standard with Stabilitrac thus removing the limited slip rear and Stabilitrac is a option on the Yukons.

OP
OP
D is for DENALI

D is for DENALI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I havnt found many np8 overhaul kits, but i have found many np246 transfer case kits that come with rear half case, bearings, sprockets chain, seals , all of it.. I am having trouble confirming these 2 are the same cases... in the info bars it says np8 is an interchangeable part but In not 100% yet.

I will upload the kits I Found and you can giv e me your thoughts and hopefully helpful advice.. there was no id tag on the case so all I have is Borg warner az91d ID number on the case and a np8 code.

https://m.ebay.com/itm/NP246-Transf...960710?hash=item2a71af9c86:g:sMwAAOSwTM5Y1Zox

https://m.ebay.com/itm/NP246-Transf...960710?hash=item2a71af9c86:g:sMwAAOSwTM5Y1Zox

I havnt found a Borg warner kit on eBay yet but im mixing work and searching...

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your transfer case (NR3) is a Borg Warner BW4481 Transfer Case. Single Speed, Full Time AWD unit. DOnt believe anything is interchangeable with the NP246. But dont let this discourage you. They are fairly easy to rebuild. (Read as not rocket science). 2007 and up went to the BW4485 in the XL.
Heres one on ebay right now for comparison. https://www.ebay.com/itm/03-06-ESCALADE-YUKON-DENALI-TRANSFER-CASE-OPTION-NR3-23575-/263000098182

Not uncommon for one of the roller bearings to die. Typical for the output shaft needle bearing to growl and make noise and lots of it too.

OP
OP
D is for DENALI

D is for DENALI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im going to have my mechanic friend rebuild it, but we were having trouble finding a kit for the nr3 specific...

So the info bar in the ebay ad is incorrect?? Is that what you are saying? Im not going to buy a used complete, I want to rebuild mine.. this different numbers stuff is frustrating.. i want a whole kit, but rockauto doesn't have it, im about to search Borg warner website directly..lolz.

Thanks for the info, it's very helpful!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyCleftNut

Latest posts