Hydroboost problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
Figured it out. I'll leave you guys to imagine my outcome pending removal of the belittling remarks by the admin. However funny you thought they may have been ...they added nothing to this rather important discussion.

Nate/Mark. I ammended my post while you were replying. Please read it again and you will think differently.

I'm sorry if you thought my comment was "belittling". It certainly wasn't intended for any more than a little chuckle. I mean, c'mon, last page (as Mark alluded to) people said you were gonna kill somebody, but you're mad because I agreed that it might be good or it might be bad?

That said, I do appreciate the added detail to your post and I understand the confusion based on your manual.

Two questions:

1. What service manual are you referencing?
2. What brought you to the point of testing your hydroboost? Was there some symptom that made you think you needed to check it out?

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OP
OP
Matahoe

Matahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's a good article.

I have read it about 10 times with no help.

On the other hand I did find an interesting article. Apparently the hydro-boost is faulty if the brake pedal is slow to return (which I have). Apparently it is due to sticking seals or bad spool valve. So it looks like I am in for a rebuilt unit or rebuild kit. Great...

Last edited:

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I re-read the entire thread and never did see an explanation as to why you're testing your brakes by turning off the engine. Is there some reason to think your brakes have a problem? Or are you just trying to do preventive maintenance or are you just trying to check the hydroboost out of curiosity? You never did say if there was a problem with your brakes or a reason to start testing the way you did.

OP
OP
Matahoe

Matahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You never did say if there was a problem with your brakes or a reason to start testing the way you did.

I'm trying to find out whats wrong with my brakes. When I apply the brake pedal it requires excessive force to bring truck to a stop. It feels like there is not enough power assist. This is the reason why I am testing the hydrobooster. Trying to rule it out as a cause.

I am going to take another look at the service manual troubleshooting steps.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gotcha. I thought originally you were just trying to test the reserve function in case your engine shut off. You never said there was a problem under normal braking conditions. I hope you get it figured out. I have heard alot about the positive aspect of hydroboost and considered doing the conversion but decided not to do it. My biggest issue I encountered was brake fade driving down mountain back roads and hydroboost wouldn't have helped. A Wilwood BBK did the trick.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Banjomatic