Hydroboost problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

M1Gunner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The accumulator is there to hold reserve pressure like a vacuum brake booster. It’s just holds p.s. fluid under pressure in case you have a pump failure or belt break. With the engine off you should still have enough power assist to stop the vehicle.

OP
OP
Matahoe

Matahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's the whole problem. It acts like it has reserve and sometimes it doesn't. Usually only when performing tests. According to the service manual my hydroboost could either be good or bad depending on how you interpret the instructions.

I turned off the engine, pumped the brake pedal 4 times (per service manual) and it depleted (pedal got hard) on the 5th pump. This is normal.

But here is the real kicker. The service manual then says to start the engine again and idle (for an unspecified amount of time). Then to turn off the engine and retest reserve. It says I should be able to get 1 reserve application right away. But I don't. The pedal is still hard from the previous test. However I might have not let the engine idle enough because the damn service manual doesn't specify!! You guys see my problem?

Last edited:

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
That's the whole problem. Sometimes it has reserve and sometimes it doesn't. According to the service manual (which is vague on a number of isses) my hydroboost could either be good or bad depending on how you interpret the instructions.

I would definitely concur that it is either good or bad.

:hmmm2:

OP
OP
Matahoe

Matahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just found another hydroboost test proceedure. After doing the first test it says to turn the wheel to one of the stops for 5 seconds while idling. Then turn off engine, depress brake pedal and see if there is any power assist.

If this works I am going to call it good.

OP
OP
Matahoe

Matahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Figured it out. I'll leave you guys to imagine my outcome pending removal of the belittling remarks by the admin. However funny you thought they may have been ...they added nothing to this rather important discussion.

Last edited:

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nate/Mark. I ammended my post while you were replying. Please read it again and you will think differently.
I was just lightening things up since it got a bit heavy earlier. I don't have hydroboost so I couldn't offer any help. I've just never heard of anyone driving at 45 and purposely turning the engine off to test the brakes so I was following in order to see why you would do that. Doing it while stopped makes sense. Sorry for being a smart ass, humor isn't my strong point.