Hybrid battery life

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sobo

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 2008 Hybrid Tahoe with 142k miles on it, i bought it 4 years ago with about 40k miles on it. Just this past weekend I had an issue with it, causing the engine light to come on. I took it in to my local shop, which is also an independent certified hybrid shop. They came back and said that I needed a new hybrid battery. I've just had the normal wear and tear on it up to this point, though noticed no performance hits up to this point. Its going to cost me $4700 for the whole parts/labor. They are working with the local chevy dealer and getting a new battery delivered from Detroit. Their tests came back saying it had less than 50% life on it. Thought it was weird I didnt pick up on any power loss up to this point. I love this truck and want to keep for at least another 60k+ plus miles.

Green Machine

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know if you'd pick up on any power loss but maybe a drop in MPG? Because unless you are really light on your foot and cruise slowly in pure electric mode, I'd imaging even at 50% capacity, the battery would have enough power to start the truck from a dead stop and to give occasional boosts at higher speeds.

Just a guess.

How much is the place charging for labor? I recall online places selling the battery for less than $2000 with a core return. but then again it probably costs triple digits to ship the new one to you and the old one back.

Nashoba

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I heard the same thing. About $2K to $2.5K for the battery alone. I think $2.2K to $2.7K for labor is too much. But I may be in the same condition when mine quits. It is about 90 miles to OKC and about that far to Dallas so I would be out a lot of towing and or freight charges to get one here to Ada to my dealer. We are all kinda over a barrel with this. But if $4700 will get us another 117,000 miles, it will probably be worth it if ours went out today.

TallTex

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 2008 Hybrid Tahoe with 142k miles on it, i bought it 4 years ago with about 40k miles on it. Just this past weekend I had an issue with it, causing the engine light to come on. I took it in to my local shop, which is also an independent certified hybrid shop. They came back and said that I needed a new hybrid battery. I've just had the normal wear and tear on it up to this point, though noticed no performance hits up to this point. Its going to cost me $4700 for the whole parts/labor. They are working with the local chevy dealer and getting a new battery delivered from Detroit. Their tests came back saying it had less than 50% life on it. Thought it was weird I didnt pick up on any power loss up to this point. I love this truck and want to keep for at least another 60k+ plus miles.
Most likely too late as I just saw this post but this is a poor shop if they do not know how to test and recondition a hybrid battery. Lots of info on web and youtube of shops that can replace cells that are bad and cannot be reconditioned and recondition cells so they achieve near OEM capcity. Dr. ? engineer out of Washington State has several youtube videos on his equipment and method for hybrid battery reconditioning.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kwhaleys

Latest posts