Hybrid battery life

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nashoba

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Now that I think of it, my warranty invoices have been the same thing, no prices listed. Thanks anyway.

For now, we have decided to keep our 2008 HyHoe for another 100,000 K. It has 115,000+ on it right now and is running fine after the repairs made at about 86,000. I guess we will find out how much the battery replacement/refresh costs when we have it done. I will give my wife the birthday present of a full detail in May for her birthday. We keep the HyHoe in the garage all the time she is not driving it so it has been mistaken for new by folks who do not know that they haven't been made for a while. It is in great shape inside and out. I have been pleasantly surprised that my wife has never damaged the front spoiler in all these years with all the high curbs and sidewalks in this part of the country. Late at night when there is very little traffic I can drive all the way across town (through stop lights and stop signs) and back on battery, about three miles. That is kinda cool.

Last edited:

Green Machine

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nashoba,

Do you have independent hybrid shops in your area? I see a few in my area. I took a 2nd gen prius to one once and they said they also worked on HyHoe's. They could probably replace individual cells (cheaper alternative) or the entire battery. I'm sure they'd be cheaper than a GM dealer.

BTW, have you had many issues with your 2008? I've had many things go wrong on mine but luckily the guy I bought it from had a GM extended warranty for it. Only a bad body control module has left me stranded, but that was on our driveway.

The body control module, peeling paint on door moldings, one of two bad door lock actuators, brake switch, and auxiliary transmission pump are the items I've had to pay for after the extended warranty expired. I've recently found two cracks in the dashboard.

I've often thought about trading it in for a 2009- Escalade because I really want a rear hatch window that can open and close.

Luckily service and repair are much cheaper than for imports.

Nashoba

Full Access Member
Reaction score
11/26/2008: Bought New
9/13/2012: 51,900 miles - set of new tires
2/13/14: 80,966 miles - new 12 volt battery; new water pump; new rear windshield washer hose
8/4/2014: 88,976 miles - new oil pressure sending unit; new VLOM assembly; new intake manifold gaskets
8/31/2014: 89076 miles - replaced rear HVAC mode door actuator; new valve cover and gasket; replaced all eight spark plugs; replaced left front and left rear door lock actuators

Nothing else but normal oil and filter changes and grease jobs. Have not had brake job. Have not replaced shocks or anything else. Passes inspection every time it is in the shop for normal service. The shop manager tells me everything checks out and needs no replacement other than the work we had done plus the two or three recall type notices.

No cracks in dash. Interior looks almost new. Steering wheel rubber covering wearing off spokes in a couple of places. Wife's long nails have worn covering off fan speed and temp control on HVAC dash buttons.

Other than what is listed above, everything has been good. Total repairs amount to about $3,500 out of pocket including tires.

No independent hybrid shops in my town. Probably have to go to OKC, Tulsa or Dallas for help. I will get a quote from the local dealer here in Ada because we bought the HyHoe there but I imagine the price will be less expensive elsewhere. I grew up working on my cars (my dad had five NAPA stores I worked in from age 13 till my sophomore year in college when he got sick and sold out) so I am pretty familiar with cars and mechanical stuff, although I am now 68, so I might explore purchasing the battery pack and installing it myself??

Last edited:

Green Machine

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^^^ I guess is that considered good? This is my first experiment into American cars. All my other ones have been Japanese vehicles and they have had far fewer repairs than this tahoe. In fact this tahoe probably has had more issues than my last four cars combined.

I'm still having fun with it, though. Now it's like new with the new hybrid battery.

Nashoba

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just cannot do Japanese or European vehicles. The only foreign cars I ever owned were a well used Datsun B210 or something like that for 90 days when it began bellowing black smoke, and a couple of Chevy LUV pickups made by Isuzu that I had for about a year each. The rest have all been American brands. Perhaps were I more enlightened like you folks in CA, I might be comfortable with owning a foreign car. I am just too much of a conservative to buy foreign cars. I try not to buy things made in China, either.

Nashoba

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just cannot do Japanese or European vehicles. The only foreign cars I ever owned were a well used Datsun B210 or something like that for 90 days when it began bellowing black smoke, and a couple of Chevy LUV pickups made by Isuzu that I had for about a year each. The rest have all been American brands. Perhaps were I more enlightened like you folks in CA, I might be comfortable with owning a foreign car. I am just too much of a conservative to buy foreign cars. I try not to buy things made in China, either.

Green Machine

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Since I live in Southern California, my view of cars is probably skewed from a lot of the nation. So many imports and fancy cars. Tesla S's are a dime a dozen. There are more Porsche 911's/Cayman's/Boxster's than Corvettes in my neck of the woods. Contrast that to when I go skiing in Montana. Mostly american cars and mostly full size trucks and SUV's. I remember I had a roommate in college from Michigan and who said you'd get a lot of crap for driving a Honda in his hometown.

Anyhow, funny how times have changed for American and Foreign cars. Many of the former are made outside of the USA and many of the latter are made in the USA. I think both have improved a lot. My parents had Honda's and Benzes in the 70's and 80's because their American cars were always breaking down. Overall I really do think Japanese cars are more reliable. I always joke that the American cars are a little cheaper so you have money left over to pay for some repairs. Probably less relevant now than before.

With that being said, my next aim is to mess around with an American muscle car with a v8.

Last edited:

Nashoba

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sad to say, financially, we have had more than a hundred cars in our family, since we married in 1969. My all time favorite was a 1964 Impala two door hardtop. The only options were a radio, 300 hp 327 (with tachometer on the steering column), a four speed tranny. No PS, no A/C, no PW or PB. I would drag anyone and everyone. Put six clutches, six rear ends and two transmission rebuilds in it. Paid $1500 for it used, drove it three years, traded it in on a new 1970 Olds Cutlass Supreme for $750. With a 3.73 or lower rear end in it, I could beat a stock 345 hp Goat in the quarter mile but the tri-power Goats would eat my sack lunch. Hardly ever had a problem with Mustangs unless they were a Boss model. Have also had Camaros, one SS Camaro, 2004 Corvette, Pontiac G8, several 1970s vintage Grand Prix vehicles, lots of pickups, many Blazers, Tahoes, Suburbans and a few sedans and coupes; Lincoln Mark V, a used Maverick, a well used F150 and now a 2002 Mercury Grand Marquis make the only four FoMoCo vehicles we ever owned. Even had a Jeep Gladiator pickup for a while. Lots of memories and lots of dollars down the drain. Still really like cars, though.

Green Machine

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^^^That's awesome. I wish I were around more people who knew more about and worked on cars. Around here I think people are really concerned about what they drive but don't know squat about how their car work. Friends think I'm some car genius if I just slap some armor pieces under my FJ Cruiser. hahaha

I heard from some old-timers around here that Santa Ana was a hotbed for hot rods decades ago and that there was a drag strip around here as well back in the day. Would have been neat to experience that.

California emissions laws also hamper car tinkering...

Nashoba

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your part of America invented hot rodding as far as many of us are concerned. Lots of young men with innovative ideas and enough cash to put them to use in a productive manner. Also there was a culture that accepted that search for speed and competition and actually provided tracks for safer places to compete. However, as you well know, street racing is still alive and well out there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
44Dan