Hybrid battery life

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GT3RR

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My 2009 Tahoe Hybrid has 111,000 nearly flawless miles on it. Lots of towing and long distance driving. All scheduled maintenance plus extra oil changing by me. MPG has always been around 21. Now 15-16. Yes, I have a roof rack, maybe a little bit bigger tires and a big tool box and spare tire but 20-21 mpg has been normal. The issue is that the engine doesn't turn off at stop lights and it never seems to go into all electric mode. With 111,000 miles on it, I'm out of warranty, duh. Winter here in the NE has bit a bit worse than normal but the HyHo has seen plenty of winters in the mountains. ANY IDEAS?

Rockytfox

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have all kinds of meters. At what point do you check?

In order to test the battery accurately, you would need to hook it up to a scan tool 2 which is available at most dealerships. These batteries are manufactured by Panasonic (I think) and are very solid. I would doubt a battery failure would lead to such a dramatic decrease in the MPG without any changes to driving habits (city vs highway, heavy footed, etc.).

How up to date is the truck in terms of scheduled maintenance? Plugs/wires/etc.

OP
OP
G

GT3RR

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. Dealer did 100k service a couple of weeks ago. All of a sudden the truck is acting normally. I hooked up a scantool and it says hybrid battery life is zero.
Right now I'm going to let it ride and not let the dealer know.
Thanks again. It doesn't seem like there are many Tahoe Hybrids over 110,000 miles.

Rockytfox

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. Dealer did 100k service a couple of weeks ago. All of a sudden the truck is acting normally. I hooked up a scantool and it says hybrid battery life is zero.
Right now I'm going to let it ride and not let the dealer know.
Thanks again. It doesn't seem like there are many Tahoe Hybrids over 110,000 miles.

Weird...You might also check out this forum: http://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/f69/ There tends to be much more activity for us Hybrid owners over there.

jebt2921

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm at about 114,000 and going pretty strong knock on wood. Depending on driving I'm averaging 18-21 mpg. Usually the lower end.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
G

GT3RR

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Good to know. I'm going thru the Green Hybrid site right now. Interesting. Just went through the bad locks which I also have.

CorpJetMech

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My 2008 that I bought in dec is at 136,000, but I don't know if the battery was previously replaced. I'm averaging about 19 in town. With the cold weather my yukon only gets warm / charged enough on the 20 minute drive to work to go into autostop right about the time I arrive. I'm hoping the warmer weather in summer will allow it to kick in to autostop sooner.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
22loweryak