Hum/Rubbing noise while driving???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thdrill

Reaction score
For the last couple of weeks I have noted that while driving my Tahoe it have what sounds like a hum or rubbing noise coming from my front end (I think front driver side). Here's what I have for symptoms so far:
  • Rubbing noise seems associated with speed worse with more speed to none while stopped
  • Rubbing noise worsens while turning to the left at any speed
  • Loss of almost 2mpg since it started
  • Higher than previous RPMs are required to maintain speed
So far I my troubleshooting has found:
  • Tire pressure is ok (not only in the front tire but all tires)
  • The brake rotors have some grooves but nothing that is abnormal from the other tires
  • No brake grinding while applying brakes
  • No softness in brake pedal
  • Auto 4wd or any 4wd is not engaged (2wd only)
I am at a loss for what could be causing this...does anyone have any thoughts that could help?

Thanks

Paul

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
For the last couple of weeks I have noted that while driving my Tahoe it have what sounds like a hum or rubbing noise coming from my front end (I think front driver side). Here's what I have for symptoms so far:
  • Rubbing noise seems associated with speed worse with more speed to none while stopped
  • The brake rotors have some grooves but nothing that is abnormal from the other tires
I am at a loss for what could be causing this...does anyone have any thoughts that could help?

Thanks

Paul

Possibly the hub/bearing. Jack it up and see if the wheel has any play from 12-6. Spin it by hand and see if there is any noise /grinding feel to it.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
jack up the front end wiggle each wheel and see if there is any up/down loose play, there should be none, if that is not it jack up the rear end (assuming it is 2wd) put on stands and start it up and put it in gear and listen to the rear end for the noise, sometimes noises come from different places then where you think.

corvette744

2004 Z-71
Reaction score

Thanks

Paul
Definitely sounds like a hub bearing-30mph and faster the sound should change swinging the wheel back and forth and sound worse in 1 way vs the other.2 lane highway recomended sounds like what you got,with you saying more rpm needed must be pretty bad-fix it quick.Jacking up the front end should def be able to tell.

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

thdrill

Reaction score
Thanks everyone...the wheel bearing weren't on my RADAR as I thought I had them replaced about a year or so ago. Although now that I'm thinking about this is a similar sound and experience to when I had to get them done then. If that is the case now to figure out why the bearings are only lasting a year or so...

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
Thanks everyone...the wheel bearing weren't on my RADAR as I thought I had them replaced about a year or so ago. Although now that I'm thinking about this is a similar sound and experience to when I had to get them done then. If that is the case now to figure out why the bearings are only lasting a year or so...

Most likely because they weren't Timken.

Johnb21

Reaction score
I chased the same problem for two years. It ended up being the pinion bearings.
I am wondering if this is my problem. I have been chasing for a couple years as well. Is there a way to further diagnose pinion bearings without removing them? Thank you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Eliteweapons