How To: Trailer Hitch on Tahoe PPV

Discussion in 'Tech Info' started by Mostwanted1, Feb 6, 2015.

1. ccapehartusarmyINF.(ret)

ccapehartusarmyINF.(ret) Full Access Member

Name:
    chris
    okay am i mistaken i coulda swore that the built in trailer hitch was standerd on police tahoes

2. ccapehartusarmyINF.(ret)

ccapehartusarmyINF.(ret) Full Access Member

Name:
    chris
    i considered buying a PPV once but the one i looked at didnt have police lights or anything it just had like these solor panels still on top and holes in the roof were all the police equipment and antennas were mounted and that center console for the equipment

3. CrashTestDummy

CrashTestDummy Full Access Member

Name:
    Gene
    If this was directed at me, I looked and no, I don't. I even looked up the old ad and there are no pictures there, either. It's just a factory NNBS Tahoe console, so nothing special. While they aren't cheap, it's probably a lot cheaper than the Jotto desks (at least the ones I've seen/priced out). IIRC, we paid $400 for ours, and it was a new take-out, so was mostly unused. They do pop up on occasion, so keep looking around. I did a quick ebay search and found one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/07-14-SILVE...ash=item2ca2bfeb67:g:dHUAAOSwDFNWEv1L&vxp=mtr

4. Gabe Tapia

Gabe Tapia TYF Newbie

Name:
    Gabe Tapia
    I just wanted to say thank you for putting up this post. I have a 2008 Chevy Tahoe PPV and came to the same problem you had. I ended up finding reinforcement bar with a tow receiver. I followed your forum and swapped out the old bar with the new one with the hitch! It was some work getting off the 10 heavy duty bolts with no air tools but got it done. Now we can tow! Question for you, when you tow your trailer and race car, how does the engine and tranny hold up? I know these PPV's don't have the tow haul button. How about the brake sensor? Will that need to be aftermarket? Can't thank you enough, I had been looking at the aftermarket hitches too but looked cheap and like crap.

I'll attach some pictures

-Gabe
    20160607_205536.jpg

5. iLikeEggs

iLikeEggs Potato! Supporting Member

Name:
    Matt
    Excellent post! Nice truck! Looks exactly like my SSV when I got it. I've since replaced the YUUUGE cop push bar in front with a slightly smaller but no less obnoxious Go Industries Quad bumper. Also I just got some stock Tahoe rims from a 2014 off craigslist. I pulled the spotlight too.
    I kind of got tired of having traffic following me like a parade. Lol.
    Great work on the hitch! Adding one to the PPV's has been on the wish list for everyone here for a while. While the Curt will do, like you say it looks like crap. Thanks for blazing the trail with your project.

6. aggmeister2010

aggmeister2010 Member

Name:
    TXFR
    I tow our department's antique show vehicle on an 18 foot trailer to PR events every once in a while, and it does just fine. Transmission temperatures never break 200, even in Texas summers.

You'll need a brake controller. I bought this one:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000P17NXQ/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And love it. It's a progressive controller, so it applies braking force linearly with you pushing on the brake pedal. The cheap $20 controllers apply the same amount of braking force no matter how hard you press on the brake, and can be unpleasant in traffic. They have a youtube video that goes through every step of the installation...and you can do it yourself in about 30 minutes.

7. 04BUCKET

04BUCKET Member

Name:
    RUBEN
    Need some help...

I bought a gear lever with tow button. Pulled lower panel to plug in harness and I don't see the plug for it. Can some one take a pic of wire colors on harness for me?

Also, I thought tow button also synched brakes to trailer? Electronic aftermarket one is needed?

8. 04BUCKET

04BUCKET Member

Name:
    RUBEN
    Thanks for help...resolved.