How to test for a bad front wheel bearing?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
I have a grinding type noise coming from left front wheel. I just jacked up the truck and took the wheel off. The wheel hub has alot of play, it wobbles quite a bit. Would that be my bearing!?

Yup. Do it soon, they can get squirrely pretty fast. Use Timken if at all possible. Rock Auto usually has a good price and theres a 5% off code in the vendor section of the forum.

OneSik805Hoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So its not my bearings. Went ahead and replaced both. But when i took off my break pads, (why did i do that? just wanted to double check everything) one pad had alot of wear on the outside edge! rotors??

bottomline2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So its not my bearings. Went ahead and replaced both. But when i took off my break pads, (why did i do that? just wanted to double check everything) one pad had alot of wear on the outside edge! rotors??
You have a caliper hanging up, slide pins are probably dry or you may need new calipers..if so perfect time to do a gmt900 front brake upgrade.

As far as the wheel bearings I would consider them a wear item to be replaced a 100k miles with Timkens regardless of noise. Im on my 3rd set of bearings at over 200k miles. Mine were quiet but i could feel some slop and yanked them due to mileage and they were the source of some of the play in my steering.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T377A using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Todd1966

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I'm about to replace mine soon. I'm at 200k on original set. After replacing is it necessary to then have a shop do a front end alignment?

sumo

dn ʇǝƃ ʇuɐɔ & llǝɟ ı
Reaction score
No alignment needed technically. The hub has no adjustment to it as it just bolts in place. You’re not messing with the geometry of the suspension.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchievu