How to test for a bad front wheel bearing?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dahlar

Reaction score
I have loud road noise comming from the left front wheel, had the vehicle aligned but all checked out...it still seems I have a little bit of slop in the wheel and road noise is still there. What is the best way to check a bearing or does anyone have an idea of what else could be wrong?

BOSS

The People's A D M I N
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have loud road noise comming from the left front wheel, had the vehicle aligned but all checked out...it still seems I have a little bit of slop in the wheel and road noise is still there. What is the best way to check a bearing or does anyone have an idea of what else could be wrong?

Sepiroth will know, let's hope he chimes in

B O S S

Sasquatch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
to check a wheel bearing jack up the truck and grab the tire at 12 o`clock and 6 o`clock and try to rock it up and down. if there is excessive play then you`ll need a new bearing. you can also spin the tire around and if it`s bad enough you may be able to hear/feel grinding.

if you have slop in the wheel this could be your problem. i`m just wondering why the alignment shop didn`t find a bad bearing when doing the job.

if thats what it is.

Sepiroth

I am here
Reaction score
Dahlar, from my experience with these trucks, I have found out that if you hear a particular side making a roaring type sound, it is that side.

You can do the wiggle jiggle test, but that might get you so far.

Another test you can try to do, though not always the case, is;

Take your truck out of 4x4 in applicable. Turn your steering wheel full lock and make a 360* right hand circle. If the noise is present, your problem is on the left front hub bearing.

Now turn your wheel to full lock and make a 360* left turn signal. If the noise is present there, then that would mean the right front hub bearing is bad.

Max

Mile High
Reaction score
Jack the front of the truck up and with the wheels still bolted to the hub stick a prybar directly under the wheel. Gently lift up on the prybar and you should feel any play through the balljoints or unit bearing itself. Having a buddy on the prybar while you inspect the suspension makes it easier.

J-Will

#Merica
Reaction score
to check a wheel bearing jack up the truck and grab the tire at 12 o`clock and 6 o`clock and try to rock it up and down. if there is excessive play then you`ll need a new bearing. you can also spin the tire around and if it`s bad enough you may be able to hear/feel grinding.

if you have slop in the wheel this could be your problem. i`m just wondering why the alignment shop didn`t find a bad bearing when doing the job.

if thats what it is.

x2
had to replace mine when i bought the truck. grab it like he said and youll be able to tell something isnt right. easiest way to do it. not hard to swap out either. air tools are nice

OP
OP
Dahlar

Dahlar

Reaction score
Just got some free time to finally put the truck on jackstands. I could not get the bearings to make noise, but I did find that both upper ball joints are flatened and won't hold grease, so I think that is my problem. Same for the pitman arm and idler. Don't forget to grease those fittings from time to time!

OneSik805Hoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a grinding type noise coming from left front wheel. I just jacked up the truck and took the wheel off. The wheel hub has alot of play, it wobbles quite a bit. Would that be my bearing!?

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a grinding type noise coming from left front wheel. I just jacked up the truck and took the wheel off. The wheel hub has alot of play, it wobbles quite a bit. Would that be my bearing!?
wheel hub, yes, you cant just replace the bearing inside there a one shot deal

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
madmax442