How To: Service/Replace ABS Wheel Speed Sensor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wantmoore

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I've been experiencing these same symptoms - no codes being given, just the ABS shudder at low speeds which is more prominent when stopping while turning. After reading through these posts, I took my multimeter set to mvAC and checked both front-wheel sensors. At similar rotation speeds, the driver-side was outputting about half the voltage of the passenger. So, I ripped in to it and cleaned and painted that surface. I had a moment of genius and realized an expanding foam earplug made a really nice plug to keep the sensor hole sealed while working. Seems to be working great for now. I'm sure the passenger side will need attention someday, but hopefully it will hold out until time for a brake job.

Thanks for the original write-up!

william03

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I apologize if this was answered earlier in this thread I read through it and didn't see it (also apologize if this is a dumb question but this is my first AWD vehicle.

But when it says rotate the wheel to generate a reading, do I have to disconnect anything else or will the front hubs spin freely as is?

Binnmann

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Wondering about an alternative solution

I have not yet pull my wheels off. But I was wondering if anyone tried the following. It appears that there are often spacers in between the sensor and the hub on these vehicles. I was wondering if removing one spacer would solve the problem without any de-rusting, and painting (thin coat).

Has anyone thought of this? Tried this? Or Tested this? Or haven't seen any spacers?

Thanks.

2003 GMC Yukon XL 1500

dakleenupman

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Did as instructed and so far, no faulty activation of the ABS or Traction Control! Great info here folks!

Merc1973

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will be doing this tonight. Thanks for the write-up.

I found this video helpful in diagnosing the ABS activating when braking. He repeats the same cause...corrosion. Go to 3:45 and he does the "quick and dirty test" for not using a scan tool to see which side needs to be replaced.

Here's another:

Last edited:

Red Rider

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had to do this. Since, I had no problems with the ABS making noise.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phoenix2k9