How to remove rear air ride suspension and only use HD rear shocks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WoodyJan

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I bought an "03 Tahoe ST with air ride suspension. The electronic auto ride was disabled but the rear air shocks are still in place with air tubes connected to air compressor. Told them I didn't want air shocks. I am going to be towing a camp trailer. I saw video strut masters and they show the coil springs will have to be replaced with new shocks. Left air shock is leaking oil. Any recommendations would really be appreciated.

Sasquatch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Replacing the autoride shocks is very easy, Just remove them and replace with regular shocks. They bolt right in place. I used billstein 5100`s and could not be happier with them. I don`t know what size trailer you`re towing but if it`s a large heavy trailer you may want to switch to Z71 springs or stuff some air bags in the stock coils. I never changed my springs because they work just fine for what i tow and haul in the back.

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Agree with Squatch. The stock shocks are easy to replace and they’ll ride much better than any other. My boat weighs just north of 4000 pounds. When I hook it up the compressor comes on and I’m back to ride height (lowered 3” in back). I’ve hauled bricks, tile, sod, cement bags and other super heavy stuff of at least 600 pounds in my Yukon and the air shocks bring me back up every time. Good luck

05alive

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Air ride trucks have different springs IIRC. Find some non-autoride springs and put those in.

6speedblazer

Reaction score
Air ride trucks have different springs IIRC. Find some non-autoride springs and put those in.

correct, autoride equip trucks have a very soft spring. When the air bag on my shock went out, the rear was about 1" lower than the front becuase of how soft the springs were.

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is there a reason you want to go away from air shocks? I know they’re not cheap. The regular shocks and hd springs will ride a little tougher. If price is the reason consider 6speeds comments as you’ll add shocks and springs. Good luck

6speedblazer

Reaction score
Hooking up just my empty trailer on my denali with blown air shocks an i was banging the bump stops a few times. The rear is SOFT

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wonder if something is wrong. I regularly tow my 4000 lb boat and at this very moment have over 400 pounds of bricks and concrete in the back behind the seats. The manual allows for 350 pounds of tongue weight but a travel trailer may weigh more.

big_tow

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
just installed an air ride delete kit from strutmasters on 2013 tahoe. it comes with new struts, shocks, coils and electronic delete for the message. cost was $900 +/- I also opted for the airlift bags (airlift 10000) $125. we tow a boat that is probably 5500lbs. loaded. I haven't towed with new set up yet, but it already handles so much better. I still need to do the electronic portion this weekend keep you posted with pics

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum from Virginia @big_tow have you noticed the bounce out back from your new setup? The springs on rigs with auto leveling are much softer. I went the route you did but couldn’t stand the bounce. At highway speeds it was scary. I’m anxious to hear how the helpers work.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
patrickleeleep