How to: power seat base adjuster replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

04ctd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
for a NNBS:
20779111 LH seat adjuster - is what GM said I needed.
the box i got showed a "2596-6539 Adjuster" got it off ebay.

FWIW, the bolts that hold the seat down are like Huge reverse Torx Bit.

I used a IRWIN broken nut/bolt removal kit. You have to have an impact drill, and it does not re-install them massively tight, but it is tight enough, and it works.

it was a smooth job... once I figured out to detach the rear seat back, so i could get a ratchet in there. using the flat 15mm did not work that well. I used a screwdriver to wedge the base away from the seat, to hold tension on the nut as I took off.

the adjuster ships in the "down position" so i just started the front nuts on, and put it in the SUV, and powered it all the way up, then tightened them down.

note the plastic wiring tray will not fit under the front part with the base down, so I kinda flexed it around, and forced it about. I put tie wraps on the wiring tray in the end pics

if you don' t have a 15mm Gear Wrench, this is your excuse to go buy a set. note that is the 10 piece set, which is hard to find, sears only sells the 8 pc set now.

if you look at the pile of tools, you can understand why the dealer charges so much to do work. that's a wealth of tools.

the impact drill is a lifesaver. i work at a desk, so my hands hurt if i do all that stuff manually. that's why I am hitting the ratchet with a rubber mallet, keeps the palm of my hand from hurting for days from tugging on 20 bolts.
i tend to over torques stuff by hand, so that is a nice SNUG tight that is consistent. that is also an awesome trick to get bolts loose, but use a box end wrench.

you don't have to take the seat belt wire off the bracket, that bracket stays with the seat belt.
pay attention to the small brackets, i missed two, but got lucky, and they fit on with the seat installed.

it's a slow job, with a lot of small parts, but it's pretty nice to take your time, not get mad, and do it yourself.

it's a lot of pics, many may be useless, but they should give you the confidence to attack this job and do it right, with no PLO
(parts left over)

(pics to follow, uploading)

some idiot had the camera on MASSIVE size, sorry

http://s19.photobucket.com/albums/b170/04vrscb/Tahoe-power-seat-base/

some random pics:

DSC00518.jpg

DSC00499.jpg

DSC00491.jpg

DSC00505.jpg

DSC00467.jpg

DSC00417.jpg

DSC00385.jpg

theres ~160 pics, but it walks you right through the process, which is overkill for some guys, but might give some guys the confidence to do this themself, and that's what cool about forum "how to's"

Last edited:

CarToons

Reaction score
Was your seat completely out or was it working intermittently? I just bought an 07 Yukon for a great deal, but has a few problems like the drivers power seat only working intermittently.

I found a lose wire at the fuse block under the hood that fixed a lot, but the power seat is still having problems. I was told by the seller that it might be the BCM and he gave me a new one,but I haven't found the programming instructions yet... I see lots of searching this site in my near future :)

Thanks

OP
OP

04ctd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i would check the connections at the rear of the driver seat, and the connection in the middle of the seat (near the motors)

what is a BCM? I think it's pretty much the switches & the motors, unless you have the memory seat

CarToons

Reaction score
BCM is the body control module. I think it's mostly for suspension but a mechanic told me he thought most of the problems with my truck were related to the BCM.

Either way my plans are on hold. I got hit yesterday... Pretty hard by a drunk driver running a light. Sweet, just got this truck last week after wanting it for years and now it's gonna be in the shop for snide long time.

But thank you for the advice... I will be checking up on the truck at the shop and even more after I get it back. Weird thing is I realized that the seat only stops working when I'm sitting on it. When I park and stand up the controls come back, maybe nit right away but they cone back.

Last edited:

Sinij kot

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey 04ctd, if you still have the original rail, I would be interested in buying it from you. LMK

OP
OP

04ctd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
no, i put it on ebay for awhile, and it did not sale,

so I put it in scrap metal. sorry, long gone.....

Driver3

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Has anyone just replaced a single motor? Only the tilt isn't working on my seat. This write-up is great, the pics in photobucket are great, please don't delete them!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlbertoTahoe2011