How to measure fuel level signal?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Crunchy Monkey

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The fuel gauge on my 2003 Yukon XL randomly shifts between the correct reading, showing empty, or somewhere in between. Luckily I can use the "personal gallons consumed" reading to accurately determine the tank status. Now I need to determine if the issue is with the sending unit on/in the tank or with the instrument cluster display. Does anyone know if the display is driven by an analog signal? If so, on which wire?

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The signal is analog. 0-5vdc using chassis ground as a ground reference. The PCM provides signal power. Empty should read around .71v and full around 2.53. Half tank would be around 1.62v. This is assuming your fuel level sensor is a 240 ohm unit. This is measured at a connector on your wiring harness to the PCM.

OP
OP
C

Crunchy Monkey

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The signal is analog. 0-5vdc using chassis ground as a ground reference. The PCM provides signal power. Empty should read around .71v and full around 2.53. Half tank would be around 1.62v. This is assuming your fuel level sensor is a 240 ohm unit. This is measured at a connector on your wiring harness to the PCM.

Great info, thanks! Do you happen to know which pin/wire it is on the instrument cluster connector?