How To Install Projector Fogs on NNBS

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

vt_hokie2008

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you don't have a dremel tool, now is probably a great excuse to get one. You've been wanting one anyway right?

Tools/Supplies needed:
Dremel or similar (or several types of saws and lots of patience)
8mm socket
10mm? socket (might be a 12, can't remember)
Ratchet
Screwdriver (depends on the head of the bolts you buy)
Plastic/Metal epoxy (I found it at Lowes pretty easily)
ABS Plastic
Projectors
Paint/Primer/Clear
Four bolts, thin and I believe 2.5" would be perfect
Four flat, larger washers
Four blind nuts

I got these projectors:
Pontiac Buick Chevy Pickup Truck Fog Driving Lights Lamps Pair 15162675 Set
http://www.ebay.com/itm/310568679627?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

$52.50 shipped to your door.

I already had DDM 35w HIDs in my factory fogs, so I just bought another set of HID bulbs to fit these. The new projectors are H11 bulbs.

I ordered this ABS plastic from Amazon (to make the color matched rings):
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004UBUV5O/ref=oh_details_o03_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

First up, I measured the diameter around the projector itself (inner) and pulled out a compass to draw myself a ring on the ABS. I then cut it out with a Dremel. Once the inner hole is cut, you can put it on the projector and trace the outer diameter and then cut that out. Note, there are a two tabs that you'll want to leave sticking out, those being around the adjustment screw. The rest I trimmed down flush with the rest of the mount. Once the inner and outer cuts are made, I cut the two slots to allow for the tabs to stick through. Don't forget to make a place for access to the adjust screw. You end up with something like this:
DSC01968.jpg

I then sanded, primed, sanded again, painted, and cleared these rings with paint I already had from doing my emblems. They came out like this:
DSC01969.jpg
Terrible picture, I know. I'd recommend using the smooth side unlike myself as it would probably look a little cleaner in the end.

Next up is mounting the fogs on the Tahoe. Remove the lower plastic piece that is just below the fogs on the rear of the bumper:
DSC01972.jpg
This involves a few screws, one bolt and a couple of clips.

Once removed you have easy access to the rear of the fog housing hole. Remove the factory fogs and then trim a little to make the rear of the projectors fit. I left the factory holes untouched so I could return to stock if I ever needed/wanted to.
DSC01973.jpg

There are 3 metal tabs on the projectors that extend beyond the edge of the round mount. I filed these down with a regular metal file until they were flush. If you don't, you'll likely damage the paint a bit where they'll dig in and will not have the fogs sit as far back in the hole and as flush.
DSC01975.jpg
DSC01976.jpg

Next I drilled out part of the projector mounts to allow for a bolt to go through to mount them.
DSC01977.jpg

Here's the slightly trickier part; I purchased four bolts. They had to be pretty small to fit into the projector mounts, four large washers to keep the bolt head from going through the factory fog housing holes, and four blind nuts.

With the blind nuts I had to cut off (or grind off if you have a grinder) one side completely flat so it could fit against the wall of the mount and simultaneously not turn when tightening the bolt. The end result is this:

DSC01970.jpg

The bolts go through the back of the factory fog housing top two holes with washers in place. They go through the holes in the new projector mounts and screw into the blind nuts. I'll admit this took a little time to get the bolts started, but they will eventually. I had to cut the bolts off in order for them to not stick out too far for the plastic rings to mount flush on the projector mount.

Now that they're mounted, you can put bulbs in and adjust twisting them left and right to get the cutoffs level, then tighten them down a bit (not too much, it's still just a urethane bumper!) to hold them in place. You can adjust the up and down later with the adjust screw.

I bought some epoxy from Lowes that claims to work on Plastics and metal. I glued the blind nuts in place (none touching the bolts) in case I ever need to take these off the nuts will not move. I then put a thin bead of epoxy around the outer ring of the projector mount and stuck the painted ABS plastic piece on top, holding until it setup to make the finished look.

Below is the end result.

DSC01978.jpg

DSC01980.jpg

DSC01982.jpg

DSC01983.jpg

DSC01984.jpg

Let me know what additional info you need and I'll update this post.

Last edited:

GMMillwright

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice write-up. Personally, I would have left the ABS covers black. How is the output / cutoff compared to the HID / factory combo?

OP
OP
vt_hokie2008

vt_hokie2008

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The light is much more useable and the road is very well lit. With the factory fogs with HIDs it was literally a flood light and lit up everything all around me, but not far down the road.

I'm still adjusting the fogs a bit, I think I need to aim them up just a little.

sumo

dn ʇǝƃ ʇuɐɔ & llǝɟ ı
Reaction score
Nice. I should do this. My SS bumper limits light output even with hids

blkonblk

Supporting Member
Reaction score
nicely done sir,, now do the headlights

i have to do my fogsss i've been slackinn

OP
OP
vt_hokie2008

vt_hokie2008

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd love to do the headlights, perhaps one day...

OP
OP
vt_hokie2008

vt_hokie2008

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You just twist the housing to get the cutoff level and then tighten the bolts. Up and down is just an adjustment screw

Smokin139

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Very awesome, add that to the never ending list of thing to do to the yukon
Thanks!

ezdaar

Chat Troll
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I always adjust projector fogs cutoff line to be 2' below headlight cut off line at 50yards.
At 100, they should merge with each other.
This gives good road coverage, keep them out of eyeballs and still gives a decent amount of hight.

If you adjust them low. their throw distance really suffers being so low to the ground.

Simple way to know if your projectors are adjusted close to right. is if you can see oncoming drivers faces at 100 yards or more. if you can, they are too high.

My preferred settings are when stopped at a red light and behind the smallest of small cars, a Civic.
My headlight cuttoff is a cpl inchs below the top edge of their trunk and fogs are middle of rear bumper cover.

If your unsure, find a police. ask him to follow you to a large parking lot. tell him you did some light work and would like his opinion (theyt love that). tell him to park on one side and your going to drive towards him with all lights on, except high beams ofcourse.
Have him tell you if they are distracting, blinding etc and which ones are the problem, adjust and try agfain until he is satified. This garuntees you will not piss of the police with your brighter than gods wrath light system.
I have had great luck doing this and it always ends up in a conversation on how, why and how much.
They mostly always interested and want to do their own vehicles.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
99TahoeTruckster