how to install overhead DVD in 2010 suburban

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lange74

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I just bought a 2010 Suburban without Nav and without moonroof.

Is it easy to install an overhead DVD??? under the liner, will I find brackets I can use to hold the thing up there?
Any info would be great.

adcmobile

Reaction score

Is it easy to install an overhead DVD??? under the liner, will I find brackets I can use to hold the thing up there?
Any info would be great.

There is a big horizontal bar under the headliner that runs side to side where the "B" pillar is and supports the roof. You could hang a swing for your kids from it...

darkmatter

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I just did the same install myself. First time for me, but it came out very good.

There is a metal bar that you can attach something sturdy to. i attached a flat piece of wood and then screwed my overhead panel base to that.

guut13

TYF Newbie
Reaction score

Any info would be great.

Have you had a chance to install it yet? How did it go?

I'm in a similar situation. Just wondering how you tied in power.

Thanks

darkmatter

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I attached a long bolt to a piece of long wood in order to create a platform where I could screw in my monitor securely. Use this link as reference http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUtRn1tJsKk

I have a 2008 Yukon so I use the same basic instructions, of course you are going to have to tweak some things.

I took power from one of the cigarette lighters in the middle console area.

This is a pic of the 17 inch monitor I installed.

Attachments

• pic7.jpg
    pic7.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 141

guut13

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I attached a long bolt to a piece of long wood in order to create a platform where I could screw in my monitor securely. Use this link as reference http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUtRn1tJsKk

I have a 2008 Yukon so I use the same basic instructions, of course you are going to have to tweak some things.

I took power from one of the cigarette lighters in the middle console area.

This is a pic of the 17 inch monitor I installed.

That is a nice big screen you have. I guess if you are going to block the rear view mirror anyways, might as well go big.

That video helps. I keep forgetting to check youtube. I have a newer Yukon as well. Makes sense about the power. If I run the wiring like the video, I can tap into the cigarette lighter that sits on the back of the center console.

Thanks for your insight.

einsfahrt

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I just did this myself as well. Did it in one night after work. The YouTube video was helpful, but I decided to not use switched power. This was a conscious choice. The player we had in our Acadia was switched and it got to be a pain when our daughter was watching a movie and we weren't getting out of the vehicle. Anyhoo, used the dome light wiring and ran power to the fuse box. Hardest part was lining up and attaching the wood spacer to the DVD player. Good luck.

Kizmo

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I plan on doing this myself. Just need some clarification. Does the wood get secured to anything inside the headliner? is it just used to sandwich the headliner between the monitor bracket and the wood?

Does the headliner end up sagging due to the additional weight?

thanks for your help.

---------- Post added at 01:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:06 PM ----------

Oh, and how long of a RCA cable does it take to make it to the rear of the stereo?

Ponchonutty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I plan on doing this myself. Just need some clarification. Does the wood get secured to anything inside the headliner? is it just used to sandwich the headliner between the monitor bracket and the wood?

Does the headliner end up sagging due to the additional weight?

thanks for your help.

---------- Post added at 01:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:06 PM ----------

Oh, and how long of a RCA cable does it take to make it to the rear of the stereo?

Depending on the display and what's all up in the headliner, I usually just wedge a piece of wood up there then fasten the dvd to the wood. I do like to if I can, get at least 2 screws through the wood to a support brace. In extreme cases I've had to take the whole liner down and glue a large piece of MDF board to the roof.

You may want to test the dome light circuit after install. Some of these newer GM vehicles when you tap into the light circuit, the BCM never goes to sleep because it sees a very slight draw on the circuit. I ran into this issue after I installed this http://www.crutchfield.com/S-epfmxT5ingH/p_220MTG10UA/Audiovox-AVXMTG10UA.html into a 2013 Traverse.

Battery would drain out after 36 hours of the vehicle not being ran. No lights were on either. BTW, that DVD system above is a very easy to install unit with changeable shrouds that can also be painted or wrapped to match headliner.

Joseph Days

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Depending on the display and what's all up in the headliner, I usually just wedge a piece of wood up there then fasten the dvd to the wood. I do like to if I can, get at least 2 screws through the wood to a support brace. In extreme cases I've had to take the whole liner down and glue a large piece of MDF board to the roof.

You may want to test the dome light circuit after install. Some of these newer GM vehicles when you tap into the light circuit, the BCM never goes to sleep because it sees a very slight draw on the circuit. I ran into this issue after I installed this http://www.crutchfield.com/S-epfmxT5ingH/p_220MTG10UA/Audiovox-AVXMTG10UA.html into a 2013 Traverse.

Battery would drain out after 36 hours of the vehicle not being ran. No lights were on either. BTW, that DVD system above is a very easy to install unit with changeable shrouds that can also be painted or wrapped to match headliner.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bekahgentry

Latest posts