How to install E-Fans

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bottomline2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm running a DC Power 270a alt. I don't think a stock alt can keep up with 2 fans running on high. It may be different if u are running full pcm control vs tapping into the ac compressor on the 02 and older models..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

YukonXL04

The Riverboat
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm running the smaller pulley on mine. They gave it to me for free so why not. Also running a small amp setup so figured it would be beneficial to install it.

DPGDirk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also, what is the latest year models of these trucks to salvage an OE set of fans from for my '03 Yukon?

I know it needs to be at least an '05, but what's the last year that fits?

Assuming all of the Yukon, Suburban, Silverado, Sierra models are the same?

Thanks!

bottomline2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have fans 2012 for an escalade. I dont think GM changed anything other than the blade design thru 2014. My part# is Dorman 620-653 from Amazon. .

bottomline2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score

bottomline2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a set of "factory" fans from an 05 yukon i got from a junkyard....high amp draw problem. Got a new set of Dorman fans from rockauto and the draw was not as bad..i think the factory fans were worn out..

The relays burn up because we don't have proper control of the fans in the older model trucks. Not sure it's a problem in the 03+ trucks. Trucks with factory ac don't cycle the fans with the compressor, they work on ac pressure and don't have the constant high load and can actually cycle on low.

DPGDirk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a set of "factory" fans from an 05 yukon i got from a junkyard....high amp draw problem. Got a new set of Dorman fans from rockauto and the draw was not as bad..i think the factory fans were worn out..

The relays burn up because we don't have proper control of the fans in the older model trucks. Not sure it's a problem in the 03+ trucks. Trucks with factory ac don't cycle the fans with the compressor, they work on ac pressure and don't have the constant high load and can actually cycle on low.

OK, so I called Dorman today. Since both the 620653 and 620654 will both bolt in to these trucks, I wanted to know what the difference was.

Apparently, the 620653 replaces the factory 5 and 7 blade fans. The 620654 replaces the 7 and 9 blade fans. The fan blades are the all the same on the Dorman replacements, but the 620654 spins at a higher RPM than the 620653 does to compensate for the fan blade count.

It looks like the 620654 has different motors than the 53 to spin the blades faster. This would explain the increase in amp draw with the 620654 units.

Now I just need to figure out which one I want for my '03 Yukon. The 54 would probably cool better, but may be more noisy. Probably should run a bigger alternator with that one, but still not sure if it would cause wiring or relay issues.

The 620653 should draw less amps, but don't know how well it will cool my rig when towing or running in really hot weather.

Why can't it just be simple....?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ppv2018