How-to: Install auxillary reverse lights **UPDATED WITH SWITCH**

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

withac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I see what you are saying now. Makes sense too. So I would take it that most switches are set up so they can not handle the 12volt load then and the relay is?

I would be using the Auxiliary HIDs for dark nights and camping and stuff so i would turn em on and leave em on for a while.

Thanks withac!

No prob Puck, I'm just passing along what others told me. Yeah, it was my understanding that it's the draw of all the watts that you don't want the switch handling, if you put a couple of 50 watt fogs on it then all that power/draw would be going through the switch, with the relay, you still have a 12 volt charge running to the switch but the flow of electricity to the lights isnt going through the switch, the electricity flows through the relay which powers up the lights, the power from the switch just activates the relay. This is just what I've been told by others who know more than I do

puckhead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sweet, makes sense. Im with you, I dont know the background of it. I can do most of it though and as long as the instructions are right Im good to go lol.

Grimes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm getting interested in this mod, as I certainly need the output. Would probably do the 3 way switch, as y'all seem to enjoy it. Could somebody post links as to what they are buying for this? Is it basically just any fog light housing with an HID bulb or what?

Thanks!

withac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm getting interested in this mod, as I certainly need the output. Would probably do the 3 way switch, as y'all seem to enjoy it. Could somebody post links as to what they are buying for this? Is it basically just any fog light housing with an HID bulb or what?

Thanks!

I just used cheap $20 fog lights I found at WalMart. A fog light pattern is what I wanted, low, wide,not too far reaching. If you had a different goal you could use a different type light. I’ve never done anything with HID’s but it’s my understanding they take a little bit to warm up to their full brightness, which is why they aren’t commonly used in brights that are getting turned on and off regularly if driving in populated areas. If that’s the case, and you were only using them for backing up, it would seem to me like a waste of money to pop for HID’s. Now if the goal is to really light up the area for an extended time then I guess you could use the HID’s. Even with my tinted rear window (don’t know the %, but it’s dark) the cheapies are enough that I can see as good as I need to when backing up.

Five

Reaction score
I'm looking to do this set up using two 18 watt LED light bars. If my math is correct, they'll only draw three amps so I don't see a need for a relay. Any arguments pro or con?

Cattivo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm looking to do this set up using two 18 watt LED light bars. If my math is correct, they'll only draw three amps so I don't see a need for a relay. Any arguments pro or con?

I would always use a relay anytime you're tapping into the trucks wiring harness because you could accidentally back feed something and cause major electrical problem$...i would recommend using a 40 amp waterproof relay...i will be using led's as reverse lights as well since i have dark tint...only i will be using the original fog light button since i am not running front fog lights

DC 12V 30/40 Amp SPDT 5 Pin Waterproof Automotive Relay + Harness Sockets | eBay

This video should help if you're not familiar with electricity

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeC

Latest posts