How to get better fuel economy with performance

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2005SnowKon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i just bought a 2005 GMC Yukon 5.3 V8. Always wanted one and found one with only 84K on it with a newer set of GMC Factory 20 inch spoke wheels. Ive already added a Volant cold air intake and the matching ram air scoop that goes from the passenger tow hook to the bottom of the air box. Was wondering what can i do to get alittle more MPG and some more power that wont break the bank. Thanks

ATL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the power is simple, the gas mileage not so much. either way you look at it, its a 6000 lbs vehicles with a v8 in it, theres no avoiding that.

if youre worried about gas mileage, i wouldnt do much more to it other than maybe a tune, and electric fans if you dont already have them

ezdaar

Chat Troll
Supporting Member
Reaction score
torque torque torque down low, is best thing you can do to improve mpg.
getting that phat yukon moving with less throttle input is the only way to improve that mpg, over what the basic mods will do.

look into a 212/218 type cam, they make gobs of power down low and wont kill topend.

The cam I have been drooling over is a 212/218 6XX/6XX 114 +4 (not tellin ya my lfft numbers I looking at :secret:), and a Tight yank 3200 converter.
I have a 6.0 tho, so you wont want as much lift as me :)

dwmmatt23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had ****** mileage (like 10mpg) and I did everything trying to get back up, in the end BB tune gained me the biggest mileage jump and power, right now im getting @14mpg on 33's. I just installed the Efans at the begining of this current tank so hopefully they help even more now

Arctic-Rodz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
im getting 12MPG city with my 6" and 35" toyo m/t's

mods are k&N cai, borla exhaust, custom HP tune. im going 4.56 gears and LS1 fans should help pull this fat girl

hey Doug, what cam would you recommend for my 5.3L Z71? Im looking for more torque. been debating about getting the 243 heads on it too. Stock torque converter.

OP
OP
2005SnowKon

2005SnowKon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a Volant CAI with the ram air scoop which is all I've done for performance. Looking at doing an exhaust soon but not sure about which one. Im thinking of just doing a cat back system. Already has electric fans since its a 2005. Thinking about doing a tune but not sure which one out there would give me the best bang for the buck. Would a throttle body spacer do me any good or is that jyust throwing money down the toilet?

dwmmatt23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a Volant CAI with the ram air scoop which is all I've done for performance. Looking at doing an exhaust soon but not sure about which one. Im thinking of just doing a cat back system. Already has electric fans since its a 2005. Thinking about doing a tune but not sure which one out there would give me the best bang for the buck. Would a throttle body spacer do me any good or is that jyust throwing money down the toilet?

Get in touch with Justin at blackbear, the tune is hands down the best mod. Dont do the spacer, read the sticky about it

OP
OP
2005SnowKon

2005SnowKon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got in touch with Justin at Black Bear, told me about the three tunes they offer. Was thinking of the tradtional Tune where they just reflash the PCM. Is that mainly what you guys have been doing?

ATL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i think most people around here have had their trucks tuned in person. bbp visits different cities to do their tuning, im hoping to catch them next time they go to nashville. i believe thats about as far SE as they go