HOW TO: Convert to Escalade LED Tail Lights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

riggz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone have an issue with low voltage by using this method? I have built my own using a Hopkins 5 to 4 trailer converter. If the vehicle is not running and brake is applied, the leds have sort of strobe effect. If the vehicle is running then the voltage is high enough to make the leds light up correctly. When using the hazards or turn signals they sometimes will strobe for a couple of flashes then operate normally. I've researched a bit discovered that the way most trailer brake converters operate a side effect is lower voltage output.

I am currently building my own 5 to 4 converter. It will have plugs on both ends that match the tahoe/suburban and the escalade plugs so cutting the original harnesses is not necessary.

blkonblk

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anyone have an issue with low voltage by using this method? I have built my own using a Hopkins 5 to 4 trailer converter. If the vehicle is not running and brake is applied, the leds have sort of strobe effect. If the vehicle is running then the voltage is high enough to make the leds light up correctly. When using the hazards or turn signals they sometimes will strobe for a couple of flashes then operate normally. I've researched a bit discovered that the way most trailer brake converters operate a side effect is lower voltage output.

I am currently building my own 5 to 4 converter. It will have plugs on both ends that match the tahoe/suburban and the escalade plugs so cutting the original harnesses is not necessary.

i see that on my lights, never knew what it was. thanks

riggz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ah ok, just wanted to make sure I wasn't the only one. Hopefully the one I build will not have this voltage issue. Parts should be here by the weekend.

blkonblk

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did you ever get to make that harness? Now the hazard lights don't even turn on on the taillights

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

blkonblk

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I should of quoted riggz, question was directed towards him. Is anyone else having trouble with these Hopkins converters?? I'm on my second set

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
THE YETI

THE YETI

Director of Operations
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I should of quoted riggz, question was directed towards him. Is anyone else having trouble with these Hopkins converters?? I'm on my second set

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Haven't had any issues on any of the harnesses I've done. Well, one fried resistor. No issues with the Hopkins tho.

blkonblk

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Haven't had any issues on any of the harnesses I've done. Well, one fried resistor. No issues with the Hopkins tho.

Where do you mount the Hopkins? I don't know if the rain is getting to them or what but I'm on my second day set of Hopkins and now having problems again

---------- Post added at 01:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:14 PM ----------

Im trying to get this wire harness also....how can i order one??

YETI makes them, shoot him a pm

OP
OP
THE YETI

THE YETI

Director of Operations
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They are meant for the outdoor elements. But the harnesses I build have them hanging underneath by the harness on the rear bumper bar.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
willie110hh