How to - Change Camshaft Position Sensor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

livingez_123

Full Access Member
Reaction score
go under the truck, on the passenger side. take the starter down.. soon as you do.. boom. cam shaft sensor is right there.. take the 10mm bolt out and remove the sensor.
put the new one in, connect the pigtail, put the bolt back in.. put the 2 bolts for the starter back in.. thats all
no need to remove the upper intake and all that crap. reaching here and there..
if you have a jack, raise the truck a little bit to help you depending on how big you are..
im 6'1 240 and did it with out but i have 24inch rims on my truck too

That's the crank sensor. Try reading the thread again.

The cam sensor is behind the intake on the 4.8/5.3/6.0 and up front on the timing cover on the 6.2

seangolden1983

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I thought camshaft sensor was.on front and crankshaft was on back at least that is what I was told aren't they 2 different sensors?

livingez_123

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It depends what year a vehicle you're working on, the crankshaft position sensor is on the side of the block behind the starter and your camshaft position sensor can either be behind the intake manifold on top of the block or on the front timing cover it just depends on the year

Peters115

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The cam position on Chevy Tahoe is not under the stater. That is the crankshaft sensor is. Older Tahoes the cam sensor is as mentioned on the backside of intake manifold. Newer models it’s on the front of engine. Behind the main pulley. Hope this helps.