How to - Change Camshaft Position Sensor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jcroteau74

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 2004 Tahoe Z71 with the 5.3L Vortec Motor. I am getting a Check Engine Light with a Cam Position Sensor fault code. I looked all over the front of the motor and cannot find the sensor. I was told the sensor is on the drivers side rear of the motor, but I can't seem to find it. Any help locating it or helpful websites would be appreciated.

BRUTUS_T_HOG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It is on the back of the engine and can't be seen without removing the intake manifold

Wake

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry I can't help with your original question. Just surprised to find a cam position sensor on these vehicles. I thought only engines with VVT had those.

The reason I'm replying though is check to see if you need to have the new sensor calibrated with the computer. I had the position senor on my Trailblazer 4.2L and it did have VVT on the exhaust side but did require a calibration after replacing it or the PCM.

BRUTUS_T_HOG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure if you can remove it with the intake in place, you just can't see it.

livingez_123

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure if you can remove it with the intake in place, you just can't see it.

Try telling a blind person that. I will be doing it this afternoon sometime. I took a picture of it from behind the intake so I will know what my fingers are touching. I can unplug it and get a socket on the bolt with a extension. I'm hoping it will clear the intake manifold.

Marv02

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes it can be removed and reinstalled with the intake manifold still installed it all by feel.

You be going at blind I just pulled mine and replaced the O ring on mine.

you need to wrap both hand around the back side of he manifold it not fun but sure beats pulling the intake manifold.

I have good size arms it a tight fit but it can be done this go's for the oil pressure switch also.

bking747

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Where do you find a replacement oring for the sensor? I can't find a part number anywhere.

Marv02

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Where do you find a replacement oring for the sensor? I can't find a part number anywhere.

I just took the old one off went down to NAPA and they matched it up it was like 75 Cents.

dbtahoe01

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
go under the truck, on the passenger side. take the starter down.. soon as you do.. boom. cam shaft sensor is right there.. take the 10mm bolt out and remove the sensor.
put the new one in, connect the pigtail, put the bolt back in.. put the 2 bolts for the starter back in.. thats all
no need to remove the upper intake and all that crap. reaching here and there..
if you have a jack, raise the truck a little bit to help you depending on how big you are..
im 6'1 240 and did it with out but i have 24inch rims on my truck too