How-to 07+ Escalade boards on 00-06...Part 1: Driver Side...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Physh1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, I'm breaking this up into 2 parts. Rumors of this being a bolt on mod with a little trimming is not accurate. To do this correctly, bolting up everything, this is simply NOT a bolt on upgrade.

The driver side is not hard to do with the right tools or access to the right tools...just requires some sectioning & welding. The passenger side will be a totally different animal. I will likely have to hybridize the stock brackets with the Escalade ones in order to clear the ac lines & securely bolt the board into place. Part 2 will happen when I decide how to hybridize the brackets of come up with a custom solution.

Part 1: Driver Side Running Board...
This is by far the easier side to do. No ac lines to contend with & plenty of room for removal & installation.

Removal, sectioning, welding, re-installation = 3 hours or so of work...

Tools needed to remove & reinstall the driver side stock running board...
3/8 rachet w/ 4"-6" extension
10mm socket
10mm combo wrench
T40 Torx socket
Chop saw or grinder with cut-off wheels
Welder

Hardware needed to reinstall the driver side Escalade board...
4 of the original T40 Torx bolts...
4 3/8" washers for T40 Torx bolts...
4 of the original 10mm nuts & bolts...
4 1/4" fender washers for the 10mm hardware...
4 1/4" standard washers for the 10mm hardware...
1 original 10 mm bolt (no nut)

The driver side running board has 6 support brackets & 11 total bolts holding it in place.

-these 6 brackets are bolted to the underside of the body using 6 T40 Torx bolts.
-there are also 4 10mm nut & bolt combos accessible on the underside of the running board & under the body. You'll need your 10mm socket & combo wrench to remove these.
-there is also 1 10mm bolt on under the front of the running board by the driver side wheel. There is a body clip here...no nut.

Board removed. Escalade board in front...stock in back. Notice the Escalade board only uses 4 brackets...not 6...
IMAG0511.jpg

Here is one of the holes in the body the 10mm nuts & bolts go through. The bolt goes through the board from the bottom, through this hole, then the nut secures it above...
IMAG0546.jpg

Stock board/bracket on the right, Escalade board/bracket on the left...notice that the stock brackets have 1/4" holes for the hardware...the Escalade boards have HUGE provisions. This is why we need to use fender washers with the stock hardware to make things fit & be safe...
IMAG0512.jpg

This is the hardware you're removing...T40 Torx bolt on the right, 10mm body bolt on the left...
IMAG0513.jpg

The body bolt locations on both boards are the same. You can use the stock hardware but washers will be needed. With the Escalade board held into place with 2 body bolts you can see we have an issue with the Escalade brackets being too tall. These, at this point, cannot be bolted up...
IMAG0515.jpg

IMAG0516.jpg

Here is the hardware I'm using. The T40 bolt (right) now sports a 3/8" G8 washer. I replaced the 10mm nut & bolt with 1/4" G8 hardware as mine looked a little rough. You don't need to do that BUT you do NEED washers! I used a 1/4" fender washer & a 1/4" standard washer...
IMAG0517.jpg

In order to bolt the board hangers to the body each bracket has to be sectioned. In my case, from front hanger to rear, they needed to be sectioned 1", 1", 1", & 1.5". Here is the stock setup...
IMAG0530.jpg

Here is 1 bracket with the 1" section to be removed marked in blue...
IMAG0531.jpg

Two sectioned & ready to get welded...
IMAG0532.jpg

All 4 sectioned, welded, & ready for install...
IMAG0533.jpg

Sectioned brackets now bolt up to factory locations...note the washers...the T40 bolt head could slip through the bolt slot on the bracket...you can clearly see the body bolt as well...I replaced mine but the factory hardware will work perfectly fine with washers too!
IMAG0543.jpg

Underside of Escalade board...
IMAG0540.jpg

Driver side board re-installed with 9 total bolts. These boards have a much better build than our stockers, better brackets, & only 9 bolt holes. No more needed...
IMAG0545.jpg

IMAG0544.jpg

Cameron

Last edited:

chip

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Excellent job Sir! Great write up! (Too bad I just put boards on!)

07Burb

GM fan for life
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nice!! Thanks for the write up so that others may decide to do this mod and know what it takes :waytogo:

OP
OP
Physh1

Physh1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Part 2 is coming soon...weather has been to crappy to get under the truck to install the passenger side board.

OP
OP
Physh1

Physh1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok guys...

Part 2: Passenger Side Running Board...
This, by far, was a PITA to do. AC lines to contend with & lots of trimming & grinding the sectioned brackets.

Removal, sectioning, welding, grinding, clearancing, & re-installation = 4 hours or so of work...

Total install time for both sides is 7 hours...

As stated in the first post, in order to bolt the board hangers to the body each bracket has to be sectioned. The passenger side sectioning is identical to the driver side. From front hanger to rear, they needed to be sectioned 1", 1", 1", & 1.5".

Now comes the tricky part. The AC lines are not run straight along the body. They are curved & contoured oddly around body mounts & body lines. I did manage to trim, grind, & modify the sectioned brackets enough to work & not rub the AC lines. This takes time & patience but I don't think you want to be replacing rear AC lines. Each bracket needed unique trimming...no 2 ended up alike...

All the hardware info from the first post is the same.

This is what the sectioned brackets look like before trimming & grinding...
IMAG0533.jpg

1rst bracket...after making it fit...
IMAG0629.jpg

2nd bracket...after making it fit...
IMAG0630.jpg

3rd bracket...after making it fit...
IMAG0631.jpg

4th bracket...after making it fit...
IMAG0632.jpg

Installation is the same...

The Tahoe is filthy but you get the point...

IMAG0633.jpg

IMAG0634.jpg

IMAG0636.jpg

Cameron

alacran

Full Access Member
Reaction score
bump for a great mod. i just mite be doing this some time soon

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members