How the hell do you replace wiper blades?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

moab

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone got a video or instructions on changing wiper blades on the 07 yukon? It's got some sort of weird mechanism. I'm trying to swap out for the floppy kind. But I can't even get the news off.

Any help greatly appreciated.

OP
OP
M

moab

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I found a couple threads. Showing a bulletin that you should replace the stock wiper arms on any 07-08 for J hook type arms. I'd like to do this so I can buy normal J hook type wiper blades. Anyone know the correct part numbers for J hook arms that will fit an 07?

Here's the bulletin:

Subject: Windshield Wiper Streak at Low Vehicle Speeds (Replace Windshield Wipers and Arms) #07-08-43-010 - (12/05/2007)

Models: 2007-2008 Cadillac Escalade, Escalade ESV, Escalade EXT

2007-2008 Chevrolet Avalanche, Suburban, Tahoe*

2007-2008 GMC Denali, Denali XL, Yukon, Yukon XL

*Excludes Tahoe Police Package

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Condition
Some customers may comment that the windshield wipers streak the windshield and do not clean properly at low vehicle speeds.

Cause
This condition may be caused by low blade pressure to the windshield.

Correction

Replace the wiper blades with conventional styled blades. The wiper arms will also have to be replaced.

Open the hood.
Remove the windshield wiper armfinish cap. Use a small flat-bladed tool to remove the finish cap.
Remove the wiper arm nut and disconnect the washer hose.
Remove the wiper arm using the J 39637 - Wiper Arm Puller.
Install the wiper to the wiper arm and remove the plastic union from the new assembly.
Install the wiper arm assembly to the vehicle. Line up and hold the blade to the vertical black bar target mark located at the lower center portion of the windshield and tighten the nut.
Tighten
Tighten the nut to 30 N·m (22 lb ft).

Install the windshield washer hose.
Install the finish cap.
Close the hood.
Parts Information
Part Number
Description
Qty

Wiper Arm-Left

Wiper Arm-Right

Wiper Blade

Warranty Information
For vehicles repaired under warranty, use:

Labor Operation
Description
Labor Time

B1784
Arm, Wiper-Windshield (One Or Both) - Replace
Use Published Labor Operation Time

OP
OP
M

moab

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got it. I just ordered new arms on ebay. $45 for the set!

Jason_S

Full Access Member
Reaction score
FWIW, I never had an issue finding the correct wipers in the Rain-X or Bosch brand at either Walmart or any of the local parts stores. I bought the incorrect style a couple of times before I caught on that you have to pay attention to more than just the length of the blade. For the Rain-X blades, you want the 22-2 style. If you buy the 22-1, you will be making another trip back into the store.

Personally, it was never a big enough hassle finding the correct blades, that I could justify the expense of changing wiper arms.

sumo

dn ʇǝƃ ʇuɐɔ & llǝɟ ı
Reaction score
Screw that funky design. Limited to very few select blades. Switched to the J hook and use what ever I want now

sk1dm4rk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You really are better off switching the arm as suggested in this thread. I did on mine and the choices are now limitless. I admit that I had an ulterior motive in that my old ones were corroded and not allowing the spring/arm to put adequate pressure on the windshield for the entire sweep.

To answer your question, though, I don't know of a cross-reference across all brands. Sorry. You can, however, go to Advance Autoparts' and Autozone's website and look up what they carry.

Hope this helps.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bekahgentry

Latest posts