How many of you guys are cammed?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DaRosa218

The Dude abides
Reaction score
OP
OP
992dr

992dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like a good choice. Because of California Smog issues, I'm going with a LS9 Cam/LS6 Lifter Setup.

Man they make it difficult to have fun over there

A Really good example of the 220/220 setup on a 5.3L

Hahaha, that was the first video I saw.

I am also looking at getting my 5.3 6speed cammed, I am looking at this kit, but don't know much about camming yet. Do I need to do A DOD delete if BBP turned off AFM?

https://www.briantooleyracing.com/btr-truck-cam-kit-with-your-choice-of-springs-and-camshaft.html

Do you already have the tune?
Like said, yes you should. It's not worth losing a lifter.

63Blackseries

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you already have the tune?
Like said, yes you should. It's not worth losing a lifter.
Yup already tuned, Id defiantly delete the DOD then wouldn't want to lose a lifter, what I am aiming for is the lope sound and more performance out of the 5.3, after some research looks like we would need a aftermarket stall converter If cammed?

OP
OP
992dr

992dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yup already tuned, Id defiantly delete the DOD then wouldn't want to lose a lifter, what I am aiming for is the lope sound and more performance out of the 5.3, after some research looks like we would need a aftermarket stall converter If cammed?

I'm after the same, nice lope and some power would be nice. I'll be adding LTs and an exhaust at the same time as I do my DOD delete.
A stall is not necessary but they all play there own rolls and work together.

Denasty08

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a cam in my 08 Denali. I went with comp cams 156-401-13 stage 2 cam. Did lifters, rods, springs and phase limiter at the same time. I was lucky I didn't have the AFM on the 6.2l in 08. I still have the stock stall and I daily drive it in stop and go traffic (Chicago). If I would've gone with a stall and bigger cam I don't think it would've been much fun in traffic. I added longtubes as well when I did the cam. It has considerably more power, I'm very happy with it. I'm lifted 4" with 34's and stock gears still also.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Have any of you installed your own cams or did you have a shop do it?

cmc76

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i havent on my tahoe. but in the past have on a 5.7 and on a big block i built. One i did on a stand, the other in the truck. I am by no means an expert wrench. For me, valve lash and timing were the tricky parts. I had to read instructions ( more than once ) and ask allot of questions. My guess is that with the work you have done ( which is awesome by the way ) and taking your time you can get it done. My only real advice is take your time. Thats usually what wrecks my projects. Rushing.

OP
OP
992dr

992dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a cam in my 08 Denali. I went with comp cams 156-401-13 stage 2 cam. Did lifters, rods, springs and phase limiter at the same time. I was lucky I didn't have the AFM on the 6.2l in 08. I still have the stock stall and I daily drive it in stop and go traffic (Chicago). If I would've gone with a stall and bigger cam I don't think it would've been much fun in traffic. I added longtubes as well when I did the cam. It has considerably more power, I'm very happy with it. I'm lifted 4" with 34's and stock gears still also.

That must've woken up that 6.2, hahaha. I'm hoping it will do the same to my 5.3.
Are you planning on going with a stall? I have a stall.
I'm replacing pretty much everything as well and adding LTs with full exhaust, trunion upgrade, melling oil pump and a few other upgrades.
I'll be lowered on roughly 30" tall tires.

Have any of you installed your own cams or did you have a shop do it?

I'll be doing this myself. Cant say I'm not nervous hahaha.

i havent on my tahoe. but in the past have on a 5.7 and on a big block i built. One i did on a stand, the other in the truck. I am by no means an expert wrench. For me, valve lash and timing were the tricky parts. I had to read instructions ( more than once ) and ask allot of questions. My guess is that with the work you have done ( which is awesome by the way ) and taking your time you can get it done. My only real advice is take your time. Thats usually what wrecks my projects. Rushing.

This will be done in my Tahoe, fun fun fun.
I'm looking forward to it. Its definitely the deepest I've been inside an engine and am quite nervous. But, I have a couple LS books and will have a buddy with me watching with eagle eyes, hah.
Did you use any specific tools for the job?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyCleftNut

Latest posts