How many of you DO NOT experience buffetting and vibration problem?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Glocksub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm in the market for a Yukon Denali and test drove one today. I have been in the position of asking for help from a car company after paying for their product. It sucks. Now I'm in the position of power. I was looking for the "buffeting" as I've read all the posts about it. And I found it in a 2017 new with 256 miles on it. It had 22's.

It happened at about 50-65, 65-80 was better. It does indeed sound like a window is open, but not as bad as when a window is open in my Jeep GC for example... It is annoying. The fact that my fist test drive I easily noticed it as did the salesman, makes me think this is not a rare issue. It is not a tire or wheel issue.. It is a DESIGN FLAW!

So I asked the salesman... No clue. Manager, no clue... So we asked the guy who orders the trucks for the dealership... He showed me the vent to the inside just inside of the rear door of a Cadillac SUV (not escalade) and said they all have a vent now because they are so air tight, if you don't have one, the HVAC would not be able to pump air into the car... Makes sense. Even more important, if an airbag goes off, not sure what the heck would happen. He said on the Yukon, the vent is huge..

This makes perfect sense to me, and it seems defeatable or fixable... The "buffeting" is basically a window open as a vent in the rear to let air in and out. I have always been dubious of the wheel and tire balance fix because 1) so many people say it works somewhat but not completely, and 2) buffeting is different than wheel wobble. This feels like air pressure, not shake or vibration...

In all my searching, I hadn't heard this theory. Maybe it's correct...

It makes me more likely to buy a Yukon because I know I can work with this... ("Great Stuff" anyone??)..

Man that 6.2 kicks it!

Here's an interesting archival tidbit...http://www.f150online.com/forums/2004-2008-f-150/371087-dont-touch-your-cabin-vents.html

Very interesting observation on the vent issue. You mentioned that they told you that the vent in the Yukon is huge, did you see it also? It should be fair to assume the tahoes/Suburban shave them also.

I'd be curious as to what the effects are by modifying/covering it.

I've yet to drive one that had buffeting that was significant (to me). One 2017 Tahoe I tested had serious vibration, but I'm certain that was due to the tires and/or wheels.

martha

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I didn't see the Tahoe one. The salesman then showed me the "mud flap" IN FRONT of the rear tires on a GMC truck meant for MPG improvement. That and wheel design and any little thing could effect the severity of the buffeting in one truck more than another I suppose due to air flow and turbulence.

I am not saying to seal it up permanently, but someone with bad buffeting could somehow cover it with duct tape for a test.

Hard to believe the GM engineers would not know if this works, but they're like the FBI - never revealing their cards! All companies are the same in this regard...

Glocksub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good points. It would be something if an item such as covering or modifying these vents could greatly reduce or eliminate the buffeting.

Shadowchaser

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have both
buffetting and vibration!
Hi everyone this is my first post here. Just about 2 month ago i purchase 2015 Chevy Tahoe LT with 25,000 miles 20" oem wheel's all stock. Everything was good until i drown my car on Interstate Highway 80 (I-80) Ohio speed limit minimum 75 mph everybody driving with speed range 75-90mph .
Yes i do have vibration when i driving 80 mph - 85 mph only! car shaking like crazy.Absolutely NO vibration when speed below 80 mph or a bow 90! Yes i do have the buffeting with 90 miles per hour speed only i speed up only once i noticed noise on the roof.
I'm 100% sure many people who post answer no buffetting and vibration never test car with higher speed.

martha

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The other thing I was thinking is it looks like GM uses one rear "equalization vent" whereas my Grand Cherokee has one on each side.. Sort of like having two windows down, no buffeting??

Please someone test this in their truck or I'll keep posting silly theories...

Gdwheel

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have both
Hi everyone this is my first post here. Just about 2 month ago i purchase 2015 Chevy Tahoe LT with 25,000 miles 20" oem wheel's all stock. Everything was good until i drown my car on Interstate Highway 80 (I-80) Ohio speed limit minimum 75 mph everybody driving with speed range 75-90mph .
Yes i do have vibration when i driving 80 mph - 85 mph only! car shaking like crazy.Absolutely NO vibration when speed below 80 mph or a bow 90! Yes i do have the buffeting with 90 miles per hour speed only i speed up only once i noticed noise on the roof.
I'm 100% sure many people who post answer no buffetting and vibration never test car with higher speed.
Speed limit here is 80 and I often drive between 80 and 85 and no buffeting.

jeffbco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have both
I'm 100% sure that this statement makes no sense. In Texas, regularly drive sections of tollway with 85 mph limit (so usually at 90 mph +) - no buffeting or vibration on 2017 Yukon Denali with 20 inch wheels.

ajs800

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm in the market for a Yukon Denali and test drove one today. I have been in the position of asking for help from a car company after paying for their product. It sucks. Now I'm in the position of power. I was looking for the "buffeting" as I've read all the posts about it. And I found it in a 2017 new with 256 miles on it. It had 22's.

It happened at about 50-65, 65-80 was better. It does indeed sound like a window is open, but not as bad as when a window is open in my Jeep GC for example... It is annoying. The fact that my fist test drive I easily noticed it as did the salesman, makes me think this is not a rare issue. It is not a tire or wheel issue.. It is a DESIGN FLAW!

So I asked the salesman... No clue. Manager, no clue... So we asked the guy who orders the trucks for the dealership... He showed me the vent to the inside just inside of the rear door of a Cadillac SUV (not escalade) and said they all have a vent now because they are so air tight, if you don't have one, the HVAC would not be able to pump air into the car... Makes sense. Even more important, if an airbag goes off, not sure what the heck would happen. He said on the Yukon, the vent is huge..

This makes perfect sense to me, and it seems defeatable or fixable... The "buffeting" is basically a window open as a vent in the rear to let air in and out. I have always been dubious of the wheel and tire balance fix because 1) so many people say it works somewhat but not completely, and 2) buffeting is different than wheel wobble. This feels like air pressure, not shake or vibration...

In all my searching, I hadn't heard this theory. Maybe it's correct...

It makes me more likely to buy a Yukon because I know I can work with this... ("Great Stuff" anyone??)..

Man that 6.2 kicks it!

Here's an interesting archival tidbit...http://www.f150online.com/forums/2004-2008-f-150/371087-dont-touch-your-cabin-vents.html

I wish it were this simple. It's much deeper of a problem than a simple vent, unfortunately.

Shadowchaser

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm 100% sure that this statement makes no sense. In Texas, regularly drive sections of tollway with 85 mph limit (so usually at 90 mph +) - no buffeting or vibration on 2017 Yukon Denali with 20 inch wheels.
Once again i do not saying very body should have buffetting and vibration im just saying many people here not even speed up more then 80mph and post answer they don't have it.

Dlayne

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Once again i do not saying very body should have buffetting and vibration im just saying many people here not even speed up more then 80mph and post answer they don't have it.

Have run up to the limiter 110ish several times and no buffeting or vibration. Even with cruise set at 90mph for quite sometime, no buffeting. 2017 with 22's. Guess I got lucky.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
willie110hh

Latest posts