How many of you are still using Onstar?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lefty28

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Just recently cancelled after 10 years on 07 Yukon, used the phone sparingly only had for diagnostics just purchased a ODB to check codes. Now OnStar wants me back for $12.95 instead of $24.94.

Nashoba

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We still have it on both our vehicles. As do others, I like to see the monthly email in reference to all my systems. I also really like it for the extra "My Family Link" feature that costs $4 or $5 a month. We also continued OnStar in the 2011 Silverado we gave our grand daughter in 2016. We could use the "locate" feature to find out where the truck was when our daughter wanted to know. It was nice for the first two years she drove. We let it go a month ago so she is now own her own. I do find it handy to locate my wife and the Tahoe whenever she goes to OKC with our daughter and grand daughters for a day of shopping. It is nice to know she is at the Mall or Target or on the road home. I don't worry so much and i don't have to call them and interrupt their shopping fun. Also, she can find my truck if I go somewhere when she is gone and she can't find me when she gets home. It is a good deal, we think.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I do find it handy to locate my wife and the Tahoe whenever she goes to OKC with our daughter and grand daughters for a day of shopping. It is nice to know she is at the Mall or Target or on the road home. I don't worry so much and i don't have to call them and interrupt their shopping fun. Also, she can find my truck if I go somewhere when she is gone and she can't find me when she gets home.

Not to dissuade you from Onstar but you can also use a free phone app called Life360. It too allows you to see where your family is via their phones. Sometimes it is so good I can see where they are in a store like Walmart and then I call them and remind them to get this or that while they are near those items! Seems creepy but great if some creep got hold of one of my girls! It also shows how fast they went from point to point and gives a day or two of history.

Chuck_Finley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm still on my pre-owned OnStar trial but the only thing I have used it for in several months is remote start/lock from the app (actually works on Apple Watch, pretty cool). I believe you can get the free 5 year plan that offers the mobile app so I'll be cancelling when the trial is up. I just don't need the directions, diagnostics etc. and don't drive enough to justify it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ppv2018