How many of you actually off-road with your 2015 and newer Tahoe/Suburban/Yukon/XL?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Etraeger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not talking talking about Mall Crawlers or dirt roads, but actual OHV trails. Trails that you would never be able to navigate with a stock vehicle. Not necessarily EXTREME off-roading. How do you have it set up? Please post pics if you have any. Thanks!

OP
OP
Etraeger

Etraeger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow! Really? I'm the only one who actually off-roads with a 2015 and newer Suburban/Tahoe/Yukon?

InTruckDesign

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did some fire roads which double as OHV trails this past summer. Nothing extreme at all, but dirt, bumps, mud etc. For what the truck is it did fine, wish I had some Fox/Icon/King coilovers on it so I could turn up the mph a little.

DWTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow! Really? I'm the only one who actually off-roads with a 2015 and newer Suburban/Tahoe/Yukon?

There are others of us out here who do, but I wouldn't be too surprised to not find many. It is a $50-$60K+ vehicle after all.

No special setup for now, just the front end leveled and I had to add some tow hooks to the front. Decent skip plates are high on the list of must haves for me.

soulsea

Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Most folks that do significant off roading would never purchase these SUVs.

That's not really what they're made for ... they're utility vehicles that schlep people and their stuff and have 4wd for poor road conditions due to weather. Without significant modifications they're pretty useless in intense off road environments.

05alive

Full Access Member
Reaction score

If I'm going to actually offroad, I'm going to really wheel it and I'm not taking a $70k vehicle to get the doors dinged, paint scratched, high centered, and generally beat to hell. That and a suburban is way way too long to wheel. Get a jeep.

Maybe overlanding but that doesn't really require too much suspension modification. You can do that in a near stock vehicle. But crawling and trail riding is just too hard in a burb.

I buried a brand new super duty (3k miles) in the salt marsh this summer to the bumpers but that wasn't intentional. A puddle that used to be 6 inches turned out to be more like 4 feet of the softest mud.

2011SSVHOE

I'm an egual oportunity offender
Reaction score
If I'm going to actually offroad, I'm going to really wheel it and I'm not taking a $70k vehicle to get the doors dinged, paint scratched, high centered, and generally beat to hell. That and a suburban is way way too long to wheel. Get a jeep.

Reminds me of a local radio personality that several years ago took his brand new Hummer off roading and rolled it over. ya just cant hide money or fix stupid.

I buried a brand new super duty (3k miles) in the salt marsh this summer to the bumpers but that wasn't intentional. A puddle that used to be 6 inches turned out to be more like 4 feet of the softest mud.

Gee Wally what did your insurance co say?

05alive

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Reminds me of a local radio personality that several years ago took his brand new Hummer off roading and rolled it over. ya just cant hide money or fix stupid.

Gee Wally what did your insurance co say?

Didn't say anything to insurance? It was fine. Drove it back to the shop covered in mud, washed and washed and washed. Spent forever with a pressure washer and foam lance getting everything off and out of the nooks and crannies, then detailed the outside.
Aside from a bruised ego and a great story about "the little puddle" it was like nothing happened.
Seriously, this was a low spot in this road through a salt marsh that always had a couple inches of silty standing water. Then one day randomly in the middle of summer (not right after a rain storm or anything, seriously out of the blue) it turned into a wicked deep soft mud hole that sucks things up. I think I was the first person to go across it since it happened but after that a massive ten wheel tow truck got stuck, a dump truck, some pickups dropped a wheel in and got hung up, and a jeep almost got swallowed. In October I stuck a 5 foot shovel in there and didn't hit solid bottom before my hand hit the water. It's just getting bigger and deeper, and forcing people to drive off the dirt/mud road and into the marsh to avoid the hole. I spent years driving through that little puddle, my buddy even drove his civic up and down the road, and it just dropped out one day. Super weird.

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
Didn't say anything to insurance? It was fine. Drove it back to the shop covered in mud, washed and washed and washed. Spent forever with a pressure washer and foam lance getting everything off and out of the nooks and crannies, then detailed the outside.
Aside from a bruised ego and a great story about "the little puddle" it was like nothing happened.
Seriously, this was a low spot in this road through a salt marsh that always had a couple inches of silty standing water. Then one day randomly in the middle of summer (not right after a rain storm or anything, seriously out of the blue) it turned into a wicked deep soft mud hole that sucks things up. I think I was the first person to go across it since it happened but after that a massive ten wheel tow truck got stuck, a dump truck, some pickups dropped a wheel in and got hung up, and a jeep almost got swallowed. In October I stuck a 5 foot shovel in there and didn't hit solid bottom before my hand hit the water. It's just getting bigger and deeper, and forcing people to drive off the dirt/mud road and into the marsh to avoid the hole. I spent years driving through that little puddle, my buddy even drove his civic up and down the road, and it just dropped out one day. Super weird.

You have a buddy?! With a Civic???!!!

GTNator

Supporting Member
Reaction score

That sounds dangerous for hikers too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchievu