How many miles is too many?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Squirrelsmith

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im looking at a 99 with almost 200k. If i buy it do i plan on a new transmission and engine soon?

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
good question, I ran my nbs to 300k and then sold it, it was mechanically like new except the rear end was just plain worn out like needed a new complete rear end not just a diff and axles but a whole assembly, otherwise it was fine I just wanted a nnbs. half the crap on it had a lifetime warranty. if hadn't had a ******* for a nnbs I would still have it. it's still running around town I see it once a while. once you have customized a truck for 12 years you can spot it easily. lol.

RED TAHOE LS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Depends on how the vehicle has been taken care of, how many previous owners, how is was maintained. My odometer just turned 202,310, and the engine is still very quite /strong as it was when new. Trans was o/h @ 158k and perfect. None of us expect anything to go wrong even the NEW ones, just look @ the threads about them on this site. Bottom line, it's mechanics where anything can go wrong without notice. :2cents:
David g....:)

Miami-Dade

Staff member
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You need to get all the service records you can find on it and have a good independent mechanic check it out from top to bottom..Just about all my vehicles went over 200K miles and couple of them to 300K with the original tans and engine..They were all serviced every 3-5K miles with Mobil 1.

Last edited:

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
OP
OP
Squirrelsmith

Squirrelsmith

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Luckily i do have a spare car to drive but im getting impatient. May have to just buy a beater and start restoring it

bigfootchiro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just north of seattle

I was born and raised in Port Townsend/Port Ludlow. My dad lives in Tenino currently.

Like the others suggested, get maintenance records and check CarFax history. Have it inspected by a reputable mechanic, too. When in good shape, and properly taken care of, these things last forever.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
staffie