How long have you had your Black Bear tune?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ScottyBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Justin tuned my 01 Suburban in person back in 2010. Removed most of the torque management, adjusted the shift points, and set a "sport mode" on the "Tow/Haul Ass" button. I've put about 50k miles on it since the tune, maybe a bit more. I did happen to have a major transmission failure, but I can't say that it had anything to do with the tune. I WAS driving it like I stole it, and I did have problems with the spider gears in the rear end which contributed to the transmission failure. Regardless, it's all good now since the transmission and rear end have been rebuilt, and drives MUCH better than bone stock.
Oh, and I did add a Vette servo to my transmission right before the tune also. I made sure that the builder knew to keep it in there when he rebuilt it.

07Burb

GM fan for life
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As an added info to other guys maybe reading this and curious about the process, Especially since I had an in person tune, but maybe interested in picking up an AutoCal, not only for my already tuned Tahoe, but for my possible to-be tuned Suburban.

If I pick up an AutoCal either used or from BB directly, what is the process to get the tune from me collecting the files, sending to them, BB sending back to me and loading them and then any successive changes that might be necessary. Thx 07Burb.
The AutoCal process is easy but does take time just because of the process. You buy the AutoCal and it comes with a set of instructions. The good news is that the AutoCal can hold up to 8 tunes and can be used for several other GMs if need be. Anyway, the instructions tell you how to grab your stock tune parameters. You get those and send that file back to Blackbear. At some point in the process Justin will ask you what your goals are for the tune whether it be better mpg or better performance or whatever. A few days later (or whatever. Timeframe depends on how busy they are) you'll get the new tune files.

JKmotorsports

Rollin the boosted grocery-getter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had Justin do a live tune on my 5.3 roughly 8 yrs ago and then again when I swapped in my supercharged 6.0.
On the 5.3, I had just basic exhaust and intake upgrade. Along with the pcm retune for more power, I had Justin remove TM, speed governor, and correct the odometer for the bigger wheels. Huge improvement over stock calibration.
After my s/c 6.0 swap a few months later, I had Justin return my pcm again. He adjusted all necessary parameters along with trans line pressure and shift points and corrected speedometer for 4.56 gears. Again, very happy with his customer service and expertise. He and Jenna are great people and definitely on my vendor list of best customer service and field of expertise.

SidewaystheSeven

Full Access Member
Reaction score
autocal because when I was getting ready to do the in person thing one of my stupid AFM lifters failed so it was in the shop when Justin came through town. SOOOO glad to have that stupid AFM tuned out now. I also have it setup for a "sport tune" via my tow/haul button. The yacht moves pretty darn good with that sport tune engaged :driver:

I'm trying to avoid having any issues with my AFM in the future since mine has a new engine in it. Did you tune for 87 or 91/93? I'm thinking of keeping mine on 87 since I drive it about 80mi/day for work, unless there's a significant difference with the higher octane. Also, is yours flex fuel?

07Burb

GM fan for life
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to avoid having any issues with my AFM in the future since mine has a new engine in it. Did you tune for 87 or 91/93? I'm thinking of keeping mine on 87 since I drive it about 80mi/day for work, unless there's a significant difference with the higher octane. Also, is yours flex fuel?
I tuned it for 91 because that's what I was putting in it anyway to keep it from pinging. So I just stuck with that. But then again it's my wife's DD and we drive it maybe 500 miles per month so the extra cost is not significant. Mine original came as a flex fuel motor but I had Justin tune that out as well just cuz. So I run 91 octane exclusively. I CAN run 87 with it (and have on accident a time or two) and it doesn't hurt anything.

SidewaystheSeven

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I tuned it for 91 because that's what I was putting in it anyway to keep it from pinging. So I just stuck with that. But then again it's my wife's DD and we drive it maybe 500 miles per month so the extra cost is not significant. Mine original came as a flex fuel motor but I had Justin tune that out as well just cuz. So I run 91 octane exclusively. I CAN run 87 with it (and have on accident a time or two) and it doesn't hurt anything.
Gotcha, thanks for the info! I'll probably just stick with a 87 tune then. Mine came without Flex Fuel, but I kinda wish it had it because E85 is readily available around here and I had good results with it my last 2 trucks.

07Burb

GM fan for life
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gotcha, thanks for the info! I'll probably just stick with a 87 tune then. Mine came without Flex Fuel, but I kinda wish it had it because E85 is readily available around here and I had good results with it my last 2 trucks.
You might ask him if he can add the E85 capability :shrug: Not sure if that's possible or not but might be worth asking about.

SidewaystheSeven

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You might ask him if he can add the E85 capability :shrug: Not sure if that's possible or not but might be worth asking about.
I think the fuel system is different. Injectors , at least. Thing that sucks is the fiance's truck is FF and she couldn't care less. Lol

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
D

Dank Denali

Reaction score
Thanks for all the input guys, keep em coming! You guys have pretty much confirmed what I've been thinking about the AFM: something being activated and deactivated that frequently is bound to cause wear, so will definitely have that tuned out. Ill have to do some research on the torque management...or maybe ill just tell Justin I want performance without sacrificing engine/transmission life and let him do his magic ;)

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I bought the Autocal and installed the tune about a year and a half ago. I'm considering a blower and if I do, it will be easy to install a new tune myself without sending out my ECM. Highly recommended.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dvnt