How long have you had your Black Bear tune?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dank Denali

Reaction score
Thinking of getting a tune from Black Bear for my 2013 Denali in the next month or so. I just bought her and she only has about 40k miles. She is my daily driver and plan on having her for a long long time so before I pull the trigger on the AutoCal I wanted to see how long everyone has had their tunes, and what kind of maintenence they have had to do since?

I'd also like to hear what everyone asked for with their tune? Right now I'm thinking of changing tow mode to sport mode, remove speed limiter, 91 octane, adjust to 22" tires, normal shift adjustments...any thing Im missing? Is it typically recommended to disable AFM on the 2013 6.2 engines? It seems like all the AFM problem threads are all older models and mostly the 5.3's.

Pretty much everything I've read says the tune shouldn't negatively effect the life of the car as long as you are not driving it like you stole it all the time (which I certainly won't be) but I would like to hear everyones experiences. I also have an extended warranty on the car so that makes me more cautious against the tune, but being able to flash back to stock makes me feel better.

Leevon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Justin has done some live tunes for me and a few via Autocal for customers. Various mileage on them, but I've never had any issues. The biggest decision you'll have to make is how much torque management to remove, and it can impact your drivetrain at some point (engineers put it there for a reason). I'd say what you are looking for is pretty standard, he'll take it from there. I would disable AFM purely from a potential maintenance standpoint, the cylinder de-activation can lead to eventual valve train and other issues. The design has not changed much. Not to mention is does jack squat for mileage.

He did an 8.1L Silverado for me which had the Allison 6 speed auto...and WOW that truck far exceeded my expectations. It was a blast to drive. By far the biggest gains on a tune I've had.

02Burgundybeast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have had my 02 and my 07 Denali tuned by him. My 02 had 130 or 140k when I tuned it. Drove the shit out of it all through college. Sold it with 200k on it and never had a lick of trouble. Did my 07 the same way, tuned at 70 or 80k miles and drove it for another 70k. Had the normal 07 problems but were nothing that black bear did or could have prevented. It is a night and day difference.

07Burb

GM fan for life
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've had my tune on my 07 burb for the last 50,000 miles or maybe a little more with 0 problems whatsoever. And the difference in how the vehicle drives compared to before tune vs. after tune is night and day. The driveability is a million times better after BB tunes it. I'd do it again in a heartbeat!!

SidewaystheSeven

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had a '08 Silverado and an '02 Suburban tuned by BB. More than 50K miles on each after the tune with no issues. I don't know about the AFM issues for sure, but that could be what killed the original engine in my '07 Suburban I have now (fortunately the engine was replaced under warranty). There's enough of a risk IMO that I'm having it disabled with the tune on this one.

Fosscore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 06 Tahoe 4.8L was tuned in person by Justin and it is a lot more responsive at every parameter that he adjusted. It will never outrun a 6.0, but from where it was stock to the updates via his tweaks, it was worth it. It is fun to drive and when it's time to go WOT, she picks up and goes through the full range of the extended RPMs. Would do it again and have contemplated it on my 13 Suburban as well.

07Burb

GM fan for life
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My 06 Tahoe 4.8L was tuned in person by Justin and it is a lot more responsive at every parameter that he adjusted. It will never outrun a 6.0, but from where it was stock to the updates via his tweaks, it was worth it. It is fun to drive and when it's time to go WOT, she picks up and goes through the full range of the extended RPMs. Would do it again and have contemplated it on my 13 Suburban as well.
should definitely tune the burb!! A tune really makes the big girl much nicer to drive.

Fosscore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes. That big ass is sometimes a bit slow out of the hole. Did you do in person or via AutoCal?

07Burb

GM fan for life
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes. That big ass is sometimes a bit slow out of the hole. Did you do in person or via AutoCal?
autocal because when I was getting ready to do the in person thing one of my stupid AFM lifters failed so it was in the shop when Justin came through town. SOOOO glad to have that stupid AFM tuned out now. I also have it setup for a "sport tune" via my tow/haul button. The yacht moves pretty darn good with that sport tune engaged :driver:

Fosscore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As an added info to other guys maybe reading this and curious about the process, Especially since I had an in person tune, but maybe interested in picking up an AutoCal, not only for my already tuned Tahoe, but for my possible to-be tuned Suburban.

If I pick up an AutoCal either used or from BB direclty, what is the process to get the tune from me collecting the files, sending to them, BB sending back to me and loading them and then any successive changes that might be necessary. Thx 07Burb.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dvnt