How I detail my truck!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tast101

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Want a shine like mine??? I’m not a pro, but this is what I learn from Trend Setta and misc sites on the Internet.

2330102162_c14ef0e5f0_b.png
2329300381_122008cabf_b.png
2330143844_d6316e6032_b.png
2330121696_3ee37d9426_b.png
2507667306_8af43e6814_b.png
2364732297_3efe727e49_b.png

Tons of Info here:
http://autogeek.net/detailingtips.html
http://paintcarendetailing.com/

Well here’s what I do and what I use.
http://www.glimmerglassdetailing.com/foamgun.html
http://autogeek.net/porter-cable-7424-accessories.html

Porter Cable 7424 Dual Action Polisher
6.5 inch Orange Light Cutting Foam Pad
6.5 inch White Polishing Foam Pad
6.5 inch Blue Finessing Foam Pad
Pinnacle XMT Ultra Fine Swirl Remover #1
Pinnacle XMT Fine Swirl Remover #2
Pinnacle XMT Carnauba Finishing Glaze
Pinnacle XMT 180 High Gloss Carnauba Paste Wax
Mothers Claybar and Instant detailer
Flood Lights
Poorboy's Car wash soap

First I wash my truck using a foam gun. I cover the whole truck, and re-spray area that I am wiping down. I don’t wipe in circles, I wipe left to right and I don’t apply a lot of pressure. Make sure you get off as much dirt as possible. When I rinse my truck I use a method called sheeting. With out a nozzle on the hose you flood the water over an area and the whole sheet of water will fall off the car minus a couple drops here and there. For those that have a large compressor you can blow your truck dry to help prevent spider webs or make sure to use a microfiber towel, and I pat my truck dry.

Now that the truck is dry I break out the clay bar and clay bar the whole truck by hand. “There’s a simple test that will indicate whether or not you need to clay. Wash and dry your vehicle, put a plastic sandwich bag over your hand and lightly rub your fingertips over the paint. If it feels gritty or rough, your paint is contaminated.” This is important to do before waxing and polishing because the clay bar will remove any contaminants from your paint before you move on. You want to use the clay bar in a back and forth motion, do not go in circle. When your finished your paint will feel smooth like glass.

After clay baring the truck, I’ll use 2 in wide Blue painters tape, to tape off plastic and areas I don’t want to get wax and polish on. I.E. Taillights, headlight, badges, plastic and rubber around the windows, mirrors, etc. I get my polisher ready, use an orange pad, and put some Pinnacle XMT Fine Swirl Remover #2 on the pad on an X pattern. With the polisher off I spread it over a 2 X 2 area. Next I turn the polisher on at a speed of 2 to finish spreading the polish over the area. Once spread, I crank it up a little bit to about 5-6 and start working the polish in, in a over-lapping figure 8 motion until it’s broken down. Once broken down wipe the residue off with a microfiber towel and check your work. Move on to the next spot, and work my way around the whole truck.

Then I’ll move on to the Pinnacle XMT Ultra Fine Swirl Remover #1, and repeat the same process.

Then I’ll move on to the Pinnacle XMT Carnauba Finishing Glaze and use a blue or black pad, and repeat the same process.

Then I’ll move on to the Pinnacle XMT 180 High Gloss Carnauba Paste Wax and use a blue or black pad. I’ll cover the whole car before I remove it. I use a microfiber bonnet to remove the wax.

Once the wax is removed, I’ll begin to remove the tape and use Mother’s back to black on the rubber and plastic pieces and the wheel wells. And if needed to a final wipe down with the Mother’s Showtime instant detailer.

Then sit back and have something cold to drink and enjoy the shine!!

Here’s some great vids that helped me. I invited the guy to TF.com a while ago; I let him know about the new site, so hopefully he’ll register. Here’s his site: http://paintcarendetailing.com/

[yt]89323lmQ2LI[/yt]
[yt]BZCi0_55ZDo[/yt]
[yt]NURjFvmDpEc[/yt]
[yt]GZVDsiEQ8-w[/yt]

Here's his recomended regiment:

Wash & Drying - (Weekly)
This step removes all the loose dirt and debris from the exterior of the car. This also includes wheels & wheel wells. Maintaining a clean finish will help prolong your wax or sealant on your paint.

Use a Quick Detailer in between washing to maintain a freshly washed look.

Claybar - (Every 3-6 months · depends on the surrounding envirornment)
This step removes embedded contaminates that normal washing can't remove and will leave the surface of the paint silky smooth.

Polish - (1-2 times a year)
This step removes imperfections in the paint (swirls, water marks, bird etching, etc.) and brings back the shine & depth to the paint.

Wax and/or Sealant - (Every 2-6 months · durability depends on product used and environmental conditions)
This step is your protection for your paint, it will also add gloss and wetness to the paint.

Polish and/or apply a Wheel Sealant to clean and protect wheels - (Protect every 2-3 months · Polish when needed)
This step will help prevent brake dust and road grime from adhering to the surface of the wheels making them easier to clean.

Clean or polish all chrome or aluminum - (As needed)

Dress all tires, wheel wells and trim -(Weekly or Twice a month)

Clean Windows and Door jambs - (Weekly or when needed)

Here's what Trend does and this post is what convinced me to detail my truck for the first time, taken from TF.com:

Okay, I've had a lot of questions on what kind of products I use and everything that I do to my Tahoe (wasnt sure where to post this)...Here we go:

1) Hand wash your car/truck with a good soap

2) Get a claybar at your local autozone/wal-mart I know meguiars makes some decent ones, once you get the clay bar open it up and get some soap and put it on the clay bar, and rub on your vehicles paint and make sure that it stays slick while it's on your paint, and you basically just wash your car with the little clay bar..once you finish washing your car with the clay bar...rinse...I use the Poorboys Clay Bar

3. Get some polish would recommend Menzerna Polish (http://www.autogeek.net/menzerna-fin...sh-po85rd.html)

4. Use some glaze - I use Red Moose Machine Glaze

5. Then some wax...I use the Meguiars NXT Ver. 2.0

6. I usually go over everything when I'm done with a Quick Detail Spray..I use Meguiars Ultimate Quick Detail (http://www.meguiars.com/estore/produ...uct_G14422.jpg)

(I also use a buffer when putting on polish and glaze and use Microfiber towels when removing anything I put wax on by hand)

These were taken after a nice detail

IMG_1120.jpg

IMG_1125.jpg

IMG_1139.jpg

IMG_1173.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
tast101

tast101

Supporting Member
Reaction score
gonna have to try the flooding part when i wash

Work's real good when you have some wax on your truck too. I can tell with my second wash the water beads off, as the wax wears down the beads stay there.

Chris

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Great post bro, I just ordered a pc and some poorboys, going to attempt it on a black truck this weekend :buffer:

OP
OP
tast101

tast101

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Great post bro, I just ordered a pc and some poorboys, going to attempt it on a black truck this weekend :buffer:

I was the same way, I saw Trend Setta make the same thread on TF and order me a polisher the same day. It does take some work, the first time I did it, it was about 10 hrs for me, because I was taking my time. Plus after the initial detail if you keep it up, you won't have to do as much the next, if you dry your truck correctly to help reduce marring and fine scratches. :buffer: DO WORK!!

Chris

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hell yah man, the ** has had some abuse over the years so we'll see what the pc can get out starting with ssr2.5 then to 1 then got blackhole and nattys blue. Got any tips that might help?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchievu