How far on electric only after a stop?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NKemp

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
How far are you driving on electric only after a stop? I realize that there are a lot of factors involved such as how heavy the foot. But ... I've read that some can drive miles and I only go 10 or 20 feet before the gas engine kicks in and that is a BIG difference.

Looking forward to your input,
Nick

soulsea

Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There's no answer, because as you said it depends on a bunch of variables, including driving style, road gradient, ambient temp, use of other electrical systems, how much load in the battery, and other things. Most I ever managed is about five minutes on flat ground without stops and starts on a 70 degree day with a full battery load at about 15mph. But I did that in a deserted road in the middle of the night, it's impossible to replicate that kind of driving under normal conditions. You can ask the same question here for answers from a lot more folks with experience: http://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/f69/

Keep in mind what you have is a two mode hybrid. Its electrical powertrain is there to assist the gas engine and was never meant to act as a stand alone electric vehicle. In short, it's not an SUV version of the Volt with any significant electrical range. The fact that you can even shlep a massive brick down the road for a few hundred yards without gasoline is a testament to how far ahead of its time this power plant was.

OP
OP
N

NKemp

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I think I'll give it a try at the local parking lot. Seems the key is keeping the speed down (under 10? Under 15?) so that the gas engine doesn't kick in. I have some warranty left so if there was an issue I wanted to know before it expires. I seem to be getting "normal" mpg's so I don't really think there is a problem. But as said above, I've read that some seem to get very long drives before gas kicks in and I am not seeing that.

OP
OP
N

NKemp

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Seems to be able to drive longer on battery the more I drive the truck. SOC may be the reason. Too bad they don't display SOC in the DIC info.

kskcheche

Reaction score
Gas motor will turn on when 30 mph is reached. When air is turned off I can go a long distance before the gas motor will come on. Under normal conditions, ac on, radio on, 2 tvs with dvd on for the kid and dog, my motor kicks on instantly regardless of me feathering the throttle.

ccapehartusarmyINF.(ret)

Full Access Member
Reaction score
tahoe hybrid OMG
i think hybrids are a joke because its pretty sad when they got diesel engines out there getting better gas mileage

Last edited:

soulsea

Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, the non existent GMT900 diesel SUVs get better milage than the actual GMT900 hybrid SUVs.

OP
OP
N

NKemp

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
tahoe hybrid OMG
i think hybrids are a joke because its pretty sad when they got diesel engines out there getting better gas mileage

The real joke is the price of diesel compared to regular gas. All savings are eaten by difference in fuel costs.

Update: Best gas mileage so far is 25.4mpg ... and loving it!

Last edited:

Robbie The Tiger

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Sorry, new here and old thread but just curious...what is the abbreviation SOC? I feel stupid...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ylwdogs