How do I take advantage of HDMI port in my new 2018 YUKON?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

azerillo

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi,
I just got a 2018 Yukon XL yesterday. I was trying to play movies onto the rear entertainment screen from my Android phone, my kids kindles and an Amazon Firestick, but nothing seems to work.
I plugged my Firestick into the HDMI and a cord from the USB to the firestick. I try switching the video to HDMI and nothing comes on the screen. I've read other people say they play their firestick with no problem. Am i missing something?
What else could i use the HDMI port for?
Thanks for any help! i

OP
OP
A

azerillo

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
i have wifi in my vehicle through on star. I just got 1GB per month. is that the problem? would a Roku work?

dbbd1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would think that either stick should work, once connected to your SUV wifi. If it doesn't, then we need to look further.

WIFFLEHOUSE

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
i have wifi in my vehicle through on star. I just got 1GB per month. is that the problem? would a Roku work?
I had a problem with roku not wanting to adjust it’s screen size for the car. I ended up having to take it inside my house to set it up. Took it back to the car and the menu looked good but when I tried different apps, I had picture problems again. I ended up going with google chromecast and now my kids can watch Netflix... also, onstars unlimited data plan is $20 monthly which I thought was a great deal

Lindsey1014

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Did you ever get your issue fixed? Mine does the same thing..I have a 2017 Suburban

yesac

Reaction score
FireStick tethered to my iPhone with unlimited data works well for road trips.

GTNator

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had a problem with roku not wanting to adjust it’s screen size for the car. I ended up having to take it inside my house to set it up. Took it back to the car and the menu looked good but when I tried different apps, I had picture problems again. I ended up going with google chromecast and now my kids can watch Netflix... also, onstars unlimited data plan is $20 monthly which I thought was a great deal

Tell me more about your Chromecast setup. Are you casting with your phone? Android?

db81

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 2017 suburban premier and I have the roku stick working on all of the screens. I bought a brand new roku stick and I was disappointed when I couldn’t get it to work in the SUV. I read that someone changed the resolution to 720 in the settings so I gave it a shot. But I didn’t use the new one, I just took an older one from a TV in my home & swapped it. I figured maybe the newer roku sticks weren’t compatible since many people still can’t get theirs to work. My older one works perfect.

TriciaPug

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi. New here and found this thread while searching how to use the HDMI in our new(to us) 2018 GMC Yukon.

I hooked it up to my laptop to watch a movie on the screen but the infotainment system says that an HDMI device is not located.
Will this not work with a computer hooked up to it?

Do I need to troubleshoot further?