How do I know if front bearing is bad? 2wd

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gossamer

Reaction score
On my 2002 2wd Tahoe I have a problem when hitting bumps on the road. It feels like the front is loose. All suspension parts are in fine condition. Steering is nice and tight. Passenger side hub does wiggle just barely and when I say barely I think most people wouldn't even notice it. Drivers side not at all.
Are these two issues signs of a worn wheel hub/bearing?
The hitting of bumps on the highway is getting scary.

Danny3737

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wheel bearings will usually get noisy when they start to go bad. I’d inspect the ball joints and sway bar bushings first

OP
OP
Gossamer

Gossamer

Reaction score
Ball Joints and everything else looks great and tight. There is certainly something loose somewhere though. You can even feel it through the steering wheel everytime you hit a bump. On the highway when you hit a bump, it sometimes feels like the frontend is about to send the truck out of control.
Having it in the air and checking out everything, the only thing I find loose is the very slight wiggle on the front passenger side wheel. Spins nicely and quiet. Hate to spend $150 plus on a new hub if that isn't the problem.

08HoeCD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Double check your sway bar bushings and end links, shocks, tie rods.

A bad wheel bearing will typically sound like a low growling noise but would not cause the alarming driving dynamics that you describe.

Danny3737

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ball Joints and everything else looks great and tight. There is certainly something loose somewhere though. You can even feel it through the steering wheel everytime you hit a bump. On the highway when you hit a bump, it sometimes feels like the frontend is about to send the truck out of control.
Having it in the air and checking out everything, the only thing I find loose is the very slight wiggle on the front passenger side wheel. Spins nicely and quiet. Hate to spend $150 plus on a new hub if that isn't the problem.

Can you define what you mean by “wiggle”? What you are describing sounds like bad ball joints or worn bushings in the lower control arms. A blown shock will also give the same effect. Have you taken off the wheel to see if the hubs are loose? I’d be very careful driving it until you fix the problem. Good Luck.

08HoeCD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, and I missed the comment about a wiggle on the front passenger side wheel----that definitely suggests a ball joint or control arm bushing issue.

OP
OP
Gossamer

Gossamer

Reaction score
No, the wiggle happens without any stress upon the ball joints or any other linkage. If you grab the tire on both sides and attempt to move it before the other components come into play it wiggles ever so slightly. Hub is on tight, brand new shocks.
Drivers side doesn't do it at all.
Possibly loose spindle nut inside hub?

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
Try working it 12-6 to check the hub. I don't think that's it, though. If it was bad enough to hop you around, it'd be screaming at you.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If your hub moves at all it's time to replace, noise or no noise. But that would not cause those issues you're having while driving, that is something else. Get the front end up on jack stands and take the wheels off and do a proper check of your entire suspension, steering and both hubs.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I haven't been on the forum in quite a while. Some who know me would be glad about that. You said you checked the front end and all is good except the hub play you talked about. I know how I check a front end but you never said how you check it. There is a right way and a wrong way. Lifting it in the air and letting everything drop is not the right way. I deal with details and not assumptions. 07BURB, knows me. He will tell you I don't like generalizations. Now after all that, Malirat, give us details on how you checked ball joints, bushings, tie rods, idler, pitman..........etc. Also, would be curious about tire and wheel condition and the steering shaft on the engine side of the firewall. Steering gear mount bolts and frame condition at all mount points.....etc.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Eliteweapons