Hot 4wd selector knob revs jumping around

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Clive

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
... When I put my hand on the shift knob it was hot to the touch. Is that true for all Tahoes of this generation? I know it's lighted but this is the first time I felt this. Do I have a problem with the selector switch? The symptoms continued in or out of 4x4,

Our 2011 Tahoe (no issues) also has a hot 4WD selector - I assume it's the lamp that illuminates it, and therefore nothing untoward.

OP
OP
PatDTN

PatDTN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks. I kinda thought it was just the light and I had never noticed before.

Pat in Tennessee

MidwestMike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine on my 2014 gets really hot too. I was just going to ask about that.

Everything works fine but the heat is almost scary. I did not think of the light, the best situation I was thinking of, without there being an issue, would be the heater ducts.

OP
OP
PatDTN

PatDTN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A friend told me it sounded like the Throttle Position Sensor was bad. Spoke to someone in Knoxville who advertises Tech 2 service and he agreed (for free) saving me the cost of having him scan. I put a new TPS in. Problem NOT fixed. I'm still trying to figure this out.

It seemed worse last night when I was running a bit faster than normal. I'm worried it's going to lock something up and leave me out of control in heavy traffic.

TahoeLTZ2012

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Mine on my 2014 gets really hot too. I was just going to ask about that.

Everything works fine but the heat is almost scary. I did not think of the light, the best situation I was thinking of, without there being an issue, would be the heater ducts.
The shift knob on my 2012 also get quite warm, but everything function normal.

OP
OP
PatDTN

PatDTN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update. I took the Tahoe to a highly recommended transmission shop nearby. He hooked up his scanning equipment and immediately saw there was an error for a sticking shift solenoid. Also he picked up that the shudder I've been feeling is a misfire that my OBD2 scan didn't show.

He dropped the pan and it looks like a metal shop in there. He said he's seen several of these. A bearing in the torque converter failed. Trans is toast. He could rebuild it in house but it's going to be cheaper to have him install a used trans with 117k miles on it that comes with an 18 month no miles warranty. He can get me back rolling Friday afternoon. He has to wait for the used trans to be shipped. With tax and labor it'll be $3300.00 or so. (I have an exact number but don't recall.)

Pat in Tennessee

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Update. I took the Tahoe to a highly recommended transmission shop nearby. He hooked up his scanning equipment and immediately saw there was an error for a sticking shift solenoid. Also he picked up that the shudder I've been feeling is a misfire that my OBD2 scan didn't show.

He dropped the pan and it looks like a metal shop in there. He said he's seen several of these. A bearing in the torque converter failed. Trans is toast. He could rebuild it in house but it's going to be cheaper to have him install a used trans with 117k miles on it that comes with an 18 month no miles warranty. He can get me back rolling Friday afternoon. He has to wait for the used trans to be shipped. With tax and labor it'll be $3300.00 or so. (I have an exact number but don't recall.)

Pat in Tennessee
Damn! You can get a rebuild with all the updates for that price. Seems a little expensive for a used trans.

OP
OP
PatDTN

PatDTN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is going to be serviced with new seals and such and installed in two days. And of course these are 6 speed trannys. I don't have the ability to shop around and put this off. While my truck is down I'm not earning any money.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
This is going to be serviced with new seals and such and installed in two days. And of course these are 6 speed trannys. I don't have the ability to shop around and put this off. While my truck is down I'm not earning any money.
Sometimes you do what you gotta do.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
44Dan