Hot 4wd selector knob revs jumping around

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PatDTN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 2009 Tahoe has been acting funny for a couple of weeks. It seems to be shifting and locking/uunlocking the torque converter. It feels like I'm hitting bumps in the road. A friend who builds automatic transmissions for race cars said similar things happened to his earlier generation Tahoe and he found his transfer case was low on oil. I drained and refilled mine with fresh Dexron 6 but the symptoms continue.

Yesterday I decided to try shifting in and out of 4x4 to see if that had any effect. When I put my hand on the shift knob it was hot to the touch. Is that true for all Tahoes of this generation? I know it's lighted but this is the first time I felt this. Do I have a problem with the selector switch? The symptoms continued in or out of 4x4,

OP
OP
PatDTN

PatDTN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hm. No access to a tech 2.

Pat in Tennessee

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just googled Tech 2 and shopped on Amazon. They offer all kinds of other scanners but no Tech 2 shows up. I did just get an email from Harbor Freight touting this: https://www.harborfreight.com/zr13-obd2-code-reader-with-abssrsfixassist-63806.html and wonder if this is decent. Probably early to know but maybe someone has one?
that would be a useful tool, but does not have the same capabilities as a tech2, you can find knockoff's on ebay but the real McCoy is pretty costly.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can find them on Ali Express and even Ebay. There's a guy on ebay selling them from Arizona or thereabouts. Make sure to get the latest card, 33.004 and if GMT900, the Candi.

OP
OP
PatDTN

PatDTN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks. These are going to be out of my price range.

Pat in Tennessee

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
You could try unplugging the switch and see what happens.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DefiantOne