Hooking up an iPad to the Radio USB Input

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WilliamMunny

Reaction score
I have a 2022 Tahoe LT and can’t hook up an iPad to the front or center USB port for sound play back. If i hook up a phone it goes to car play so the ports work. If I hook up an iPad it just says “no device connected.” But charges.

Everything has the latest software and I tried two different iPads with no luck. Trying to have movie sound come over the car speakers.

I don’t want to do Bluetooth as a phone is hooked up via Bluetooth for calls and Nav.

Anyone have this issue or know a fix?

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a 2022 Tahoe LT and can’t hook up an iPad to the front or center USB port for sound play back. If i hook up a phone it goes to car play so the ports work. If I hook up an iPad it just says “no device connected.” But charges.

Everything has the latest software and I tried two different iPads with no luck. Trying to have movie sound come over the car speakers.

I don’t want to do Bluetooth as a phone is hooked up via Bluetooth for calls and Nav.

most likely only a specific series of IPOD is going to work (for music only) or use a thumb drive or sd card.
pretty sure an ipad will not work at all.
you should be able to use any streaming service with the onboard wifi or use your own hotspot and connect the radio to it.
all kinds of options to use.

Last edited:

bradac

Reaction score
you really should just being using car play for your phone and have the iPad connected to bluetooth, you can have the iPad playing over bluetooth if a cal comes in it pauses it, just delete your phone from bluetooth and have there iPad as the only device, that's how we use it, works great. sucks they removed the aux port.

WalleyeMikeIII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One thought, turn off Siri on your iPad, then plug it in...I believe it is Siri that is the base of the CarPlay connection...with it off...the vehicle may just see the iPad as a media player. Have not tried this...but based on what I see in this article, which impiles an issue w/ Nissan going the other way (CarPlay would not launch, and the solution was to turn on siri). Easy and worth a shot.

Referenced article:

May also try posting in Apple Communities or chatting w/ Apple support. Essentially you want your iPad to look like an iPod to the head unit.
See also:

Have you attempted this without the other device bluetooth connected, just to eliminate any conflicts...

ambreaux

TYF Newbie
Reaction score

It’s really frustrating when something you were able to do on an older model vehicle is taken away in a newer model. I had a 2016 Yukon that allowed me to have my phone connected to carplay, but I was able to use my iPad for audio. On my 2022 Yukon, it doesn’t recognize the iPad as a device at all, just as you’re describing. I had a service appointment today and I asked them to look at this. They weren’t able to come up with a solution.

I tried what another user suggested and disabled Siri. That didn’t help. I’m also using an apple cable, and my iPad is updated with the latest software. Also, my husband has a brand new iPad and it also doesn’t connect. Hopefully GM comes up with a software patch, but I doubt this is seen as an issue.

RST Dana

Supporting Member
Reaction score
If your iPad has a port for wired headphones and you ride has an aux port, you should be able play audio from the iPad while using the audio cable between the two devices.

WalleyeMikeIII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It’s really frustrating when something you were able to do on an older model vehicle is taken away in a newer model. I had a 2016 Yukon that allowed me to have my phone connected to carplay, but I was able to use my iPad for audio. On my 2022 Yukon, it doesn’t recognize the iPad as a device at all, just as you’re describing. I had a service appointment today and I asked them to look at this. They weren’t able to come up with a solution.

I tried what another user suggested and disabled Siri. That didn’t help. I’m also using an apple cable, and my iPad is updated with the latest software. Also, my husband has a brand new iPad and it also doesn’t connect. Hopefully GM comes up with a software patch, but I doubt this is seen as an issue.
So, perhaps give this a shot, just to determine if there is a way at all...
Place your phone in Airplane mode or power it down completely before you turn on your vehicle.
Power up your ride...let everything boot nicely.
Plug in your iPad...see if it connects as a media player (Select USB for audio input on the audio sources screen).
If that doesn't work, try pairing your iPad w/ Bluetooth, then select Bluetooth as the audio source from the sources screen.

Now, I have an interesting question...presumably you can have the same audio source/tracks/app/etc on your iPhone as you do on your iPad (Apple syncs them in the cloud)...so...why not just use CarPlay on your phone for audio?

I am an Apple Music subscriber, and can listen to all of iTunes library on my Mac, Apple Watch, iPhone, iPad, AppleTV, etc..I realize this is not your actual question, nor is everyone an Apple Music subscriber, but even if you were Spotify, AmazonMusic, YouTube Music, etc, the same app will run on your iPhone or your iPad. If you have a bunch of mp3's or aac's downloaded to your iPad, you can easlliy move them to your phone by syncing w/ Apple Music app on a computer...or you could move them to a USB stick and plug that in the USB port?

Again, I realize the latter part of this post is not what you asked...but could be an option for solving this a different way.

I have an iPad, I will play w/ it when I get a minute...
To be clear, you want to be able to connect via CarPlay (wirelessly) w/ a phone, and use your iPad as a USB connected media player (in iPod mode?)
Have you tried the opposite...connect phone via USB for car play (wired), and pair your iPad via Bluetooth as a bluetooth Audio Source?

UPDATE:
Got ahead of myself...didn't re-read OP's question...
OP wants Video playing on iPad screen with audio going to vehicle speakers...preferably NOT using Bluetooth...so my questions in the 2nd and 3rd paragraph is not worth asking or answering..sorry all.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brian12019